keeping water free of organic stuff

Methods of cooling laser tubes

keeping water free of organic stuff

Postby quadmasta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:59 pm

I've already got some clear slime built up on the tubing that's in my water bucket. What can I add to it to keep that from happening that won't screw up my pump? I figured I could throw some distilled water in and that'd cut down on it, but it'd still become "un-distilled" after a while since the bucket isn't perfectly sealed.
quadmasta

Re: keeping water free of organic stuff

Postby whmeade10 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:04 pm

quadmasta wrote:I've already got some clear slime built up on the tubing that's in my water bucket. What can I add to it to keep that from happening that won't screw up my pump? I figured I could throw some distilled water in and that'd cut down on it, but it'd still become "un-distilled" after a while since the bucket isn't perfectly sealed.

I used a 50/50 water anti-freeze solution. Its only been 4 or 5 months, but I have no slime build up. :D

BIll
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby macona » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Nothing cools as well as pure water, coolant actually decreases the cooling capability of water.

So use either Reverse Osmosis or Distilled water. Bacteria need Phosphates and other trace elements to live and reproduce. If you use water that does not have any of these then the bacteria can't grow. I use Reverse Osmosis filtered water in my big cooler and have had the same water in there for about 3 or 4 years now. Not a trace of microbes.
macona

Postby naPS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Are you running a closed loop or an open bucket? If you're using an open bucket, it will most definitely start growing things after a while, regardless of how clean the initial water supply is.
naPS

Postby quadmasta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:09 pm

It's a bucket with a top with holes drilled for the in/out tubing and the electrical wiring for the bilge pump. I could seal it up with silicone after I'm sure it's going to work well.
quadmasta

Postby TLHarrell » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:47 pm

I got some "No More Algae" stuff from the pet store. I'm going to try that out on my distilled water which is starting to get slimy.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby bdring » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:03 am

I use 50/50 anti freeze and have had the same water for over two years....no growth. The green color helps spot bubbles too.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby quadmasta » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Does the excited gas inside of the laser tube give off UV? If so, this is kind of a null issue :)
quadmasta

Postby macona » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:19 am

It should give off a little from excited nitrogen but the glass that the tube is made out of will absorb all of it, at least the wavelengths that are germicidal.
macona

Return to Cooling