There's a hole in my printer dear Lisa ...

Issues related to safety

There's a hole in my printer dear Lisa ...

Postby iGull » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:08 am

Hi All

Just thought I'd make a public note about my utter crass stupidity in the hope that I might not embarass myself again and that others may learn from it !

I aligned my laser again at the weekend, paying particular attention to centrality. However, for some obscure reason, I didn't go back and check the four corners of the table (make a test list !). At the top RHS, the beam was 15mm off centre (over 1200mm) - consequently, it was missing the head altogether :oops:
I was testing the laser on a long job of an aircraft fuselage/formers.
And you can guess what the beam was hitting because the skins have not been fitted yet - my workshop printer - and it is about 2 metres from the laser head !!!. The only reason I noticed it was because I was coding on my laptop - my bare arm was in the way and I wondered why it was getting sore ! I noticed the printer because of the burning plastic smell (I also noticed a lack of the 'sssssss' coming from the laser head). To compound it, I just happened to have put on a new microfleece jerkin because the workshop was a bit cool - yes, two nice burn marks in the new fleece that I hadn't even noticed! I'm 'lucky', because I wear glasses and I also have been wearing an ugly orange pair of uvex safety goggles - if I had only been wearing my glasses, and bent over, I would have had the full beam at the LH corner of my eye :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Nice sexy uvex goggles, thank you !!!

Take care with your laser.

Keep safe.

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Return to Safety