Resized Machine>Where to get belts? How can i make them fit?

Bearings/Motors/Belts/Gears/Etc.

Resized Machine>Where to get belts? How can i make them fit?

Postby bloq » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:36 am

Hello,

As i posted earlier i am getting close to starting my build. One of my biggest problems is the large closed loop mxl belt. I resized my 2.x a little bit using the thingiverse tool which led to the need for a MXL Belt .250 1696mm cut (67 inch rounded). I did not find any source for this belt (Europe would be great but anything is good). Could you please help me? Furthermore i am wondering, if i can change something on the machine for making a belt fit without losing travel because there will not be a belt with that exact dimensions. Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am not yet sure about assembly details ...

thanks a lot,

tm
bloq

Re: Resized Machine>Where to get belts? How can i make them

Postby sshwarts » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi. I used this one:
I used this one from SDP: A 6Z16-913025

Single Sided .080" (MXL) 913 0.25 Neoprene Fiberglass 73.04 length

I found that you can move the lift plates further apart towards the corners to accommodate the belt size (assuming your bed size works). Note that you'll probably want to move the Z motor to the bottom.
sshwarts

Postby bloq » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:13 pm

this one looks good. According to the parametric tool i would need a 77" inch belt. Do you think i can also bring the lift plates closer together for a smaller belt like the 73" you suggested? From what i can see at the step files (yeah ; ) this should be possible ...
bloq

Postby Zebethyal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi There,

Not sure if this helps:

I chose to go for an all Metric build and swapped the Z axis pulleys from MXL to 20 tooth GT2-2 @ $1.85 each (GT2 has less backlash than MXL) and then used a 1524mm/762tooth GT2-2 belt for $2.50 all from Robotdigg.

My view was that the location of the 4 pieces of studding/all thread was pretty arbitrary, so long as they were evenly spaced from the center - it all works in my Sketchup model of the Buildlog 2.x Laser.

They also now sell a GT2-2 48 tooth pulley for $3.00 and a 202mm/101tooth GT2-2 belt for $0.40 if you also want to convert the Z axis reducer gears to GT2-2, the 48 tooth pulley has a 5mm bore so would need to be drilled out to 6mm or 1/4", I printed one on my 3D printer.

These parts will fit M6 as well as 1/4" SAE threaded rod, so would require no additional modifications to the design.
Zebethyal

Return to Mechatronics