ORD Bot 3D Printer

Post your build logs here

Shaft Coupler

Postby bdring » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:33 pm

cheap threaded nylon standoff

I tried that exact method on the 2.x Laser. I was pretty lame and is still a bit of work to fab.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: ORD Bot 3D Printer

Postby Halfdead » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:05 am

I want one of these so bad, are you taking pre-orders for kits soon?
Halfdead

Postby orcinus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Already posted in comments on the blog article, so sorry for being repetititititive...
How about Hadron for the bigger bot's name? Or, the bigger one could be Fermion and the next size Hadron.

Oh, also, sorry if i've missed this info somewhere, but is there an estimate on the kit price already?
orcinus

Hadron?

Postby bdring » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:18 pm

How about Hadron

I like that name. That might be a winner. I just have to get "Firkin" out of my head.

I Wiki'd Hadron because I was not quite sure what one actually was. I thought is was something pretty small as well. It turns out to be a composite particle, but the cool thing is Hadron means "stout or thick" in greek.

estimate on the kit price?

I have most of the quotes in. The price is looking good for $200-$250 range (depends on my order size). This is for the Mech platform only. You would add your favorite extruder and controller. That bad news is it is going to take 4-6 weeks to get all the parts.

I was thinking about adding an item to the MakerSlide store to pre-order one. This would be a small $25-ish fee that puts you in line for one. That would help me finance the buy and keep an organized queue of people. The fee would be refundable if the sell price exceed the target.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Pazu » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 pm

That price sounds awesome. Especially for those of us with a ready extruder and electronics!

Bring it on!
Pazu

Postby orcinus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Hadron, yeah, that was the idea :)
Quantum as in - something (nearly) massless and tiny.
Hadron as in - a "big", heavy particle (like a proton or a neutron) that makes up most of the matter's mass.
Of course, that means the next level would be Atom, which sounds a slight bit retro.
Alternative sequence would be Quantum->Fermion->Hadron->Atom. Might squeeze Lepton in there too if you need another "size-level".

Re: price - that sounds SWEET! :D
So that would be $250 (mechatronics) + $162 (complete RAMPS kit) + $120ish (Wade's extruder + hot end) = $532.
Nice price-point.
orcinus

Postby bjoerngiesler » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:52 pm

That price sounds awesome indeed! Does it include the motors? I wanted to postpone buying a 3D printer until next year (after my house is built and I actually have a workshop to put it in), but this would absolutely make me buy one from you right now.
bjoerngiesler

Postby frob » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:04 pm

orcinus wrote:Alternative sequence would be Quantum->Fermion->Hadron->Atom. Might squeeze Lepton in there too if you need another "size-level".

Don't forget Boson, Gluon, and Quark - which makes for a "cute" name especially with the many odd flavors - Up, Down, Strange, Charmed, etc...
... and for a really fast machine, you can call it Neutrino, which are known to move faster than light :ugeek:
... and for that really insanely massive machine we keep planning but never quite get around to building, we can call that the Higgs :lol:
I was going to propose Big Bang initially but definitely prefer Hadron, now its really starting to grow on me-
especially since i was lucky enough to see the LHC close up and personal last year- A fantastically huge and minblowingly impressive thing to see!
frob

Postby bdring » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 pm

The plan was to include the motors. That is the price for the Quantum using NEMA14 motors. As you can see from the videos, they are plenty fast and strong for that size.

The Hadron is shown in the rendering with NEMA17 motors. The NEMA 17 motors are about 60% more expensive than NEMA14 motors plus some other parts are bigger.

I will try to get items added to the store by the end of the day.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby georgehine » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:22 pm

put me on the list to buy a kit. love what you do guys keep up the good work!
georgehine

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs