David's ORDish gluon Bot Build

Post your build logs here

David's ORDish gluon Bot Build

Postby sdivad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi , I was just itching to start my Build but not all my 3d printer pieces have arrived yet

Today I got my nema 14 steppers, because I ordered them on almost the first day that bdring posted his build on thingiverse I did not have any good specs for it.
As the result, the steppers are smaller than on the normal ord bot.

I built a quick mockup with the parts that I have as of now:
There are no misumi parts because I can't buy misumi things here in Europe as an individual, so this will be pure makerslide profiles bot

the dimensions for the makerslides are 2cm bigger than the quantum so the makerslides are 250mm long, all five of them.
This was a bit of a mistake of my part as the orginal has a 270mm misumi extrusion as a base. The plate for holding the z-steppers must then have extra length and holes in it for the z makerslides must then stand on top of the whole thing.

Well I will continue tomorrow if I get time....
Last edited by sdivad on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdivad

Re: David's ORD Bot Build

Postby sdivad » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:45 pm

MakerGear steper plastruder arrived.

here is a pic taken in the middle of assembly:

I have solved the problem of the brackets for the makerslide assembly. I found 25x25x3mm aluminium angle (0,5 meter) in the recicle-bin of the next-door workplace of my workplace, so I picked it up (with the permission of the owner) and put it through my tablesaw, cutting it to 18mm side x 25mm (uncut) x 20mm length. Cutting aluminium works fine on a standard tablesaw with woodblade ;)
Tomorrow I will drill 6mm mounting holes in the angles.

On the sad note... The PLA and RAMPS will not arrrive before middle of MARCH, so I will have to be patient :(

btw, does anyone have a cad drawing (dxf) of the ordbot carrier-plates
I want to cut the plates in my CNC, (the present plates on the ord bot are for my CNC router upgrade) :shock:
sdivad

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:17 pm

What plate did you need? There are no parts called "ordbot carrier" plates
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mike » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Looks like my dining table over the weekend -- Gotta love the chocolate the MakerGear includes with each shipment!

Good luck with the build!
mike

Postby sdivad » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm

bdring wrote:What plate did you need? There are no parts called "ordbot carrier" plates

I was thinking of the flat plates that slide along the makerslides
The other ones were called Standard Wheel Carriage Plate, so....
sdivad

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:21 pm

The DXFs to those parts are linked to the BOM.

Quantum - http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/i ... tNo=D30050

Hadron - http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/i ... tNo=D30060

I suggest changing the title of your Bot. It is not really an ORD Bot right now. I don't want search engines linking to this and confusing people. Maybe "ORD-ish Bot", "ODD Bot"

Bart
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: David's ORDish gluon Bot Build

Postby sdivad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:54 pm

changed the title, finishing the extruder and reassembling my CNC router.
I was turning the Gantry Carriage Bracket DXF file to Gcode for cutting, but it was a mess with my programs, the dimensions were only a few millimeters by few millimeters. Can anybody comfirm this?
Had to scale the thing and set the units right, but it worked I think, the cnc is in pieces now so I can't cut the plates yet....

finished drilling the alu-angles after work today, happy days ;)

Will have to try to finish routing during the weekend, but we will see, the weekends ar almost busier than the weekdays :)
sdivad

Postby sdivad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 pm

after several failed attempts to post my detailed build description of my bootstrapped bot here goes:
GluonFront.jpg

For some reason I am logged out after each attempt to save or preview so my patience is not great tonight and I will describe it later...
Last edited by sdivad on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdivad

Postby sdivad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:02 pm

gluonBack.jpg

As you can (not) see, I used 3x 8mm nuts and a ziptie inside a ball of kneaded 5min epoxy and a ziptie round the whole to hold the z-axis
This seems to work ok for a bootstrapping. The rods are a mess, not straight at all and will wobble quite much.
As a result I had to leave the motorbrackets unscrewed-down so they will move a bit with the rod. I can not see that it affects the printing yet but.....
I will look into driving the z-axis with a belt.
As for the belts they are GT2mm and the pulleys are 36 tooth

The back is an actual breadboard and so is the bit holding the extruder

The extruder is sitting on a bit of breadboard that is cutted a V of 45deg to allow for the mounting of the extruder
the breadboard is screwed to the plate with self tapping 25mm platescrews, but I predrilled holes for them on the edge with a cordless drill by hand.

All the bootstrap parts will be replaced with printed parts or machined ones when I will find the time to do it

And the first build: I had to adjust the trimpots of z-steppers while printing so there are imperfections in the bottom 5mm. The rest is ok for a first print.
firstBuild.jpg
sdivad

Return to Build Logs