Pike's Sydney 2.x Laser Build

Post your build logs here

Postby pike » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:37 am

So I have finally gotten approval to start my laser build. I have been watching this site and forum for quite a while now and have finally started.

I have been building the unit in Inventor because I have made some material changes and I want to make sure it will all still work, I will post some drawings and a BOM for the parts I have used towards the end of the build. The main reason behind the material substitution was that I received a quote form misumi for the extrusion and it was around $500 all up, plus postage which was around another $150 or so. I could have picked it all up from a local supplier for about another $50 on top of that but both options were outside my approved budget so I went for some aluminium "quick-fit" extrusion from Bunnings, total less that $200.

Here is the extrusion and connectors
T_DSC03995.jpg
Extrusion

I used a program called Cut1D to optimise for materials, it did require a few more adjustments on the saw but it was worth it, I ended up saving around $50 in materials.

Here is my compound mitre saw, it has a metal cutting blade installed and sliced through that extrusion like a hot knife through butter (to borrow an overused expression)
T_DSC03996.jpg
Saw

This is the wastage from the extrusions.
T_DSC04005.jpg
Wastage

And this is the final product, well the final product of the cutting anyway.
T_DSC04007.jpg
Pieces

And after some light refreshments and 20 minutes later, i had the frame completed.
T_DSC04010.jpg
Official Image

Lessons learnt:
1. Extrusion is 25.4mm square, this must be taken into account on the long pieces that span a connection joint as it adds 0.8mm to the required length, since i didnt do this there is 0.4mm gaps at each end between the long pieces and the edge of the joint piece.
2. My saw sends the filings flying, must remember to install soem sort of shield for future cutting.
3. Even though the material was cheaper, the cost of a nutsert (rivnut) gun and nutserts will probably in the end cost just as much as the misumi extrusion (which would have been cut for me) and I will have to be more precise on my locating of holes.
pike

Postby pike » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:06 am

OK, so I have ordered my motors, microstep drivers and power supply.

I found the link from another forum post, but i will post it here again since I can't find that post again
http://www.stappenmotor.nl/Steppermotor/Index_Eng.html

I ordered
2 x NEMA 23 Signle Shaft Steppers (1Nm Torque)
1x NEMA 23 Dual Shaft Steppers (1Nm Torque)
3x M415C Microstep Driver (32 micro/step) **PDF says 64/s but I will wait to see it in person
1x 24V 5A Power Supply

All up it cost be just over 200 Euro includign shipping to Sydney.

I am still refining my design for the gantry movement as I will be using linear shafts with pillow bearings.
Almost done, will post some pics when I'm ready so you can all tell me where its not going to work before i waste my money on it. :)
pike

Postby pike » Tue May 01, 2012 1:55 am

So I think I have my design modifications sorted out. I have tried to stick as closely as I can to the original flavour but obviusly had to change a few things to suit my different frame materials.

Here is the full box (I know no very exciting since you cant see anything). I plan on skinning the box in cheap MDF to start with, and once I am happy with the control location, input and output ports (water, air, electronics, etc) then I will make permament skins from Alupanel or similar.
Full Box.PNG
Full Laser

And this is the frame with my thrown together gantry. I have gone for shafts with linear bearings in pillow blocks, my X Axis rails are mounted on the vertical plane to squeeze out a few extra millimeters of cutting space, and i should have about 800mm x 300mm cutting room. I have kept Barts general belt design for moving my gantry around, minor changes to suit my box.
Frame with Bits.PNG
Frame with Gantry

I have a special design idea for my Z-Table, I dont know if it will work yet so I will keep it under wraps until I start testing it and let you guys know how it goes. Just in case it doesnt work :oops:

Still waiting on steppers, controllers and PSU, but since I havent purchased anything else for my box yet it doesnt realy matter too much. Hope they get here soon though.
pike

Re: Pike's Sydney 2.x Laser Build

Postby baz » Tue May 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi,
This looks great Pike, it will be interesting to see how your different rails turn out.
Keep updating us (with pics) please, and best of luck. :D
Regards
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, 2.x Laser, ORD Bot Hadron
MakerSlide Europe Store
baz

Re: Pike's Sydney 2.x Laser Build

Postby pike » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:53 pm

So it's been a while since my last post.

I have been waiting for my steppers to come in before moving ahead with the project. Since it appears it will be the next most expensive parts (after the laser and PSU) I didnt want to blow my budget if i couldnt get them working with my setup.

I ordered the parts from Stappenmotor http://stappenmotor.nl/Steppermotor/Index_Eng.html, Harrie offered the best pricing out of the sites I looked at and even tested the units before shipping.
For the 3 x Nema 23's, 3 x 1-Axis Controllers, 1 x PSU the total came in at under $250 delivered.

On a side note, when I plugged them in and did some tests with Mach3, they didnt work, panic set in, connections were checked, computers rebooted, hair pulled out.
Ubuntu live CD with LinuxCNC downloaded, burned and booted, then all worked fine.

pike

Return to Build Logs