Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Post your build logs here

Re: Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Postby sandro » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 pm

2. I changed the idler bracket to use a pocket instead of using an o'ring to hold in the bearing.

[attachment=1]idler_pocket.JPG[/attachment]

It seems like this change makes it harder for the design to be done on a laser cutter.
Or at least I haven't figured out a reliable way to do this on ours.
Is there a way?
sandro

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes, it will still work the old way too. Just cut through at the full diameter of the bearing.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Design updates

Postby bdring » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:29 pm

I did similar updates to the XY Mechanism. I change the belt clamping method and put the bearings in pockets. The bearing cut can still be cut through if you want to fab them on a laser. You tension the belt by moving the back pulley. Tighten the back pulley screws until it can still slide, but it takes a strong push. Now push it back until the belt is tight and fully tighten the screws.

y_tension.JPG

I will update the BOM later today.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Update Z Axis

Postby bdring » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 am

A while back someone suggested using a NEMA 17 as my Z axis motor. This would get all motors to be NEMA 17's. I decided to try it as well incorporate some other ideas. It worked great and it is the current method I use for my axis. I will be releasing the drawings for it soon, and it will be new Z axis kit.

It is a simpler than the old method as it uses a lot less of the "fold back" bearings. The fold back bearings were used to get greater engagement of the belts with the pulleys. It turns out that it was overkill and just using a pulley with more teeth does just as well. It is easier to show this rendering than try to take a picture of it.
z_lift 3.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Z Lift Updated

Postby bdring » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:42 am

The Z Lift has been updated. I ran a first pass to update the BOM. I need to double check it.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Build Instructions

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:08 pm

I started a shared Google Document for build instructions. For now this seems like an easy way to collaborate on this. I might do a wiki page, etc later, but this is a good start. The link is here. I only spent about a half hour on it so far to layout a simple template for it. If you want access to edit it, please email me. I think you will need a gmail account to do it. Here is the link. I will work on it as time permits.

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?i ... =en&pli=1#
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

More Clean Up

Postby bdring » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:22 pm

I revised the frame, top cover and main assembly drawings. In many places the hardware was not actually installed in the model and estimated or counted on the actual unit. I took the time to put it in the model and updated the BOM as required. The BOM was off on Misumi t-nuts, but pretty close everywhere else. The hardware kits will be revised. I still want to give it one more look.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby wiladams » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:50 pm

[quote="bdring"]The hardware kits will be revised.[/quote]

Do you so happen to have a difference list on the hardware kit? I bought the hardware kit a while back, and just purchased the Misumi parts, and then I just read this. I guess I'll find out the difference as I build, but a list would make it easy.
wiladams

Postby bdring » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 pm

I have no way to get history on the BOM. I suggest manually comparing the hardware on the list with the bag labels. Send me a private email if you need anything special.

I still can't guarantee the list is 100% complete. It is my best guess. When I find or hear of missing items I add them. The kit contents page, is here.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/hardware_kit.html
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby artwood_decor » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 am

You have done an amazing job here, especially with those reviews, upgrades...
Are you willing to share the 3D files/assembly?
I have parts left from building a CNC router and want to adapt the design to save some money, (and to save a lot of time rebuilding the 3D files).

Lucian
artwood_decor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs