Liberty4Ever's Laser Build Log

Post your build logs here

Re: Liberty4Ever's Laser Build Log

Postby nephertiti » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am

Liberty4Ever wrote:Hour Meter

I'm still imagineering the laser build and thinking of things I want to include. It's a haphazard process. I'm still trying to finish the BOM & schematic, but even then, I'll be editing in stuff I want as I think of it. About the only positive to this improvisation is that at least, for the most part, I'm not thinking of stuff to add and then forgetting to add it. With the internet so readily available, I don't even bother with a shopping list. I think of it, and I buy it. Instant geek gratification! Hopefully, I'll have a BOM that will allow other laser builders to browse and edit to make their own shopping list, which should trade a lot of dream time for build time!

This morning's purchase is an hour meter, aka a Hobbs meter. It's mostly for the laser tube,but it'll also be useful for other maintenance and preventative maintenance items such as cleaning filters. I hope I'll never be replacing the 8,000 hour laser tube (that's a LOT of lasing!), but if there is a problem, I'd like to be able to tell the supplier that "the laser tube only has 64.9 hours on it", which is a lot more compelling than telling them that I've had it less than six months and haven't used it much. While not essential, the hour meter seemed like a nice feature that's worth $8. Heck, at that price, maybe I should buy two, and use one for machine run time, and the other for laser tube time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330768712467

I like the idea of PC based machines. I can keep the maintenance log as a text file on the PC that runs LinuxCNC and the build notes, component PDF datasheets, and maintenance records go with the machine. This information can be easily backed up to a USB thumb drive and the backup copy can be kept on my general purpose notebook PC.

When I was buying the hour meter on eBay, I was surprised that most of the hour meters were advertised the same way, to be used on a car/boat/tractor, but half of those required 220 VAC power. Who has a 220 VAC car, boat or tractor? Buyer beware! Read the description!

Hi,

First of all realy nice build you got there.

I will use hour meter for my build too but I'm not sure about few things. Here is my post : http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1878 . I would be happy if you help me.

Thank you. Have a nice day.
nephertiti

Postby maddog7 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:45 pm

As part of my prebuild learning I came across this thread.
Seems like a fantastic resource but it appears to have simply stopped?
Any news?
D
maddog7

Postby Liberty4Ever » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 pm

My CNC Laser is #4 on my Summer Of Projects.

1) 2'X4' CNC Router - Took longer than I thought, but finished and making parts!

2) CNC Mini-Lathe - Booted LinuxCNC and ran the chess pawn simulated cut last night. Wire the two stepper motors, run 5V to the control electronics, install and wire the power switch, and that project is finished.

3) Finish the backyard shed that I started almost a year ago so I can move the stuff out of my basement shop to make room to build...

4) The CNC Laser!

Like the CNC Mini-Lathe, I suspect the CNC Laser will be a fairly fast build. Not quite as fast as the Mini-Lathe, but not as long as the router project where the big frame and enclosure bogged me down.

I'll document the CNC Mini-Lathe in a separate build log and update my CNC Router build log. I have videos to post to YouTube for those builds.

I'll be using my friend's old & slow laser again tonight. It needs to stop and cool down often. I could do the ten hours of laser work in two unattended hours when I build my laser, so there is a lot of incentive to build my laser!
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby maddog7 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Understood fella. It just seemed that so much thought had gone into it and the writing gave the impression of such great momentum that things were to carry on with the same pace!
Nonetheless, will swing by peroidically to see if there is any progress.
:)
D
maddog7

Previous

Return to Build Logs