Baz's 2.x UK Build

Post your build logs here

Frame Built

Postby baz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Parts have slowly being trickling in. I finally opted for the DSP controller; however I have had a little trouble getting it to talk to a Pololu shield (another thread to follow)
I finally came round to assembling the frame once my Misumi order arrived, there was a few confusing moments (as my extrusion lengths are different due to my scaled up size). But all in all it went together a treat; I would definitely recommend using the OpenSCAD sketch to generate a new BOM. Below are some pictures of the build so far and a few of the bits and pieces that have arrived.
Wires and DIN rail
Stainless steel drive shaft, support bearings in place
Light Object order; DSP, PSU, Optics (spare lenses), Relays, Coolant pipe etc
The optics hardware where pretty rough, burs all over. I disassembled them and gave them a good sanding and polishing!
Cable chain. Pulleys from Stock Drive (enough for some ORD Bots as well as the laser)
Misumi Extrusion
Stainless bolts. (My collection of hardware from the 3 projects (cnc, laser and printer) is getting so big I decided to get a special box and even label the compartments!)
Assembly begins!
Drilling out the tube brackets
First motor installed. I decided to use standard Molex connectors as they are decent quality, readily available and reasonably cheap.
DSCF6070.JPG
Official Image

The only things I have to purchase now are the laser tube, laser PSU and skins. Regarding the laser tube; I am really in limbo over which one to get. Should I spend the extra money for a 60-80w tube or stick with the standard 40w?
Currently the build is on hold waiting for European MakerSlide to arrive, but hopefully should be cutting soon.
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, 2.x Laser, ORD Bot Hadron
MakerSlide Europe Store
baz

Re: Baz's 2.x UK Build

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 am

I would have gone with 4-pin ATX connectors instead of Molex. I hate Molex. The pins are always out of alignment and getting them to plug together is a challenge in tight spaces.

Can't wait to see this project progress further.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby settle » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Baz,

Good to see it taking shape, I'm eagerly awaiting your next updates now that the makerslide has been manufactured! although I guess you've been mainly repackaging makerslide all over Christmas rather than building the laser!

I'm going to place my frame order next weekend also based on the thingiverse script from http://www.kjnltd.co.uk to make a cut area of 600x800

I'm going to enquire about getting the skins cut from these guys, they have been competitive in the past http://www.sciss.co.uk/

I have a couple of questions if you have the time,

Have you planned out where the electronics will go yet? I'm hoping with the enlarged case and therefore larger compartment for the electronics it will be possible to subdivide it from the main cutting area. I run a couple of lasers at work and they get quite dirty from the smoke even with a proper extraction system, I really won't want that smoke in with the electronics.

Also have you gone for 600x600x100 exact or gone a bit over incase the script hasn't allowed correctly for kill switches etc ?

Your UK specific posts are very helpful, I don't suppose you have a full BOM for what you have ordered? I think the machine in my mind is going to be very similar to yours!

Best
Settle
settle

Postby BenJackson » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Now is the best time to move the Z drive around so it doesn't interfere with Y travel. Dirk moved his to the bottom. I'm contemplating a rebuild to move it to the "middle".
BenJackson

Postby mesheldrake » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:23 am

I've just been wandering all over the web looking for a good LinuxCNC compatible controller solution for my Laser2x build. Overwhelmed (and sometimes underwhelmed) by that search, I thought I'd come back to these forums to see what people are using in recent builds. As I'm reading this buildlog I come across these references to my OpenSCAD Laser 2x scaling script! It's really good to hear people are building based on that.

Then I notice that Baz is the same builder that posted a more-info request on the Thingiverse page that I still haven't gotten around to responding to. Sorry Baz! But it looks like you figured it out. And you've sprinted past me in your build.

settle - about allowances in the script for switches - whatever allowances bdring designed in should be preserved. The script takes the original cutting envelope claims on faith, and then if you want, say, an inch more y travel, it adds that 25.4mm to the the original dimensions. It's not always as simple +25.4, for every part, but that's the idea. If the final envelope is different than the numbers entered in the script, then it would have been that much different for a stock design build. But, regardless of my claims, you should over-size it by a little just in case. I did! (On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if bdring oversized HIS design a little so his round-number envelope claims would be safe.)

Baz - good to see you settled your electronics question. Seems like the right call if you don't want to waste time hacking controller software. I'm pretty set on doing a LinuxCNC system though, initially based on Ben Jackson's work.
mesheldrake

Previous

Return to Build Logs