Gadroc's Laser 2.x Build

Post your build logs here

Gadroc's Laser 2.x Build

Postby Gadroc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:23 am

I'm finally starting my Laser 2.x build to replace my modified K40. I'm build a fairly stock 2.x, just extending the X axis by 40mm so I can fit a full 12x24 acrylic sheet in the cutting area. Placed all my orders last week and the majority of the parts are here.

Electronics - LightObjcects DSP (608)
Laser Tube - 40W from K40
Optics - Optics from K40

My McMaser Carr, Maker Slide Store, Inventibles, Stock Driver and Misumi orders are here. Unfortunately econobelt parts are on back order. Tonight I assembled to majority of the frame. I just need to cut my makerslide to size to complete it, but it's to late tonight to fire up the miter saw. I'll hopefully finish the frame tomorrow.

I still have to find/order cable carrier and skin material. I have access to a 4x8 shopbot and I hope to find a suitable skin from a local supplier. Need to call kabelschlep tomorrow as I can't find any distributors who list their parts online.

Laser Frame.jpg
Gadroc

Re: Gadroc's Laser 2.x Build

Postby kbob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm

When I filled out the "give me a quote" form on Kabelschlepp's web site, they referred me to a local distributor. Then it was a quick couple of emails to get the carriers shipped straight to me.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Postby JakeS » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I got mine from Grainger.
JakeS

Postby Gadroc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Yep. I just ordered mine from Grainger this morning. They don't carry the 130/132 15mm part that is speced for Y axis, but they do Cary the 180 15mm. The 180 has he same bend radius' just longer links and a slight higher hang height, so hopefully it works, but a . I did do the math and the 20mm 130/132 would have rubbed on the Y drive belt and it looks like the extra height shouldn't be a problem on the y axis. The had the right parts for the x axis.

I need to layout me changes to the skins to find out how much I need to order now. I'm going to look into a door for a chip tray. Has anyone else made one?

Also anyone have any recommended bits / rips / feed rate for CNC routing OmegaBond, alumni the or AluPanel?
Gadroc

Postby jv4779 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:35 pm

I got the best finish cutting the skin material with a straight 1/8" carbide router bit at I think 10-20 ipm. Other more standard bits like 4 flute style up cut left alot of bur on the edges. The bit came from home depot after getting frustrated trying to use every other end mill I had.
jv4779

Postby edmond22 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:42 pm

I use an Onsrud 4mm upcut single flute spiral O solid carbide bit for cutting dibond/alupanel normally at about 50mm/sec at 18000rpm on the Multicam 3000 series CNC at work.

The alupanel cuts really easy with the right router bit.
edmond22

Skin Bits

Postby bdring » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:54 pm

I used to use the Onsrud bits, but lately I am getting better results with these eBay bits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-CNC-router-w ... 27cc83db8f

The straight flute reduces lifting up an edge.

I cut at around 60-80 inches per minute without any ramps or lead ins. I can cut about 8-10 sets per bit.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Gadroc » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Found a local supplier of aluminum composite material (http://www.tubelite.com). Picked up a 4x8 sheet of blue 3mm today. Heading to the shop in another hour or so to cut out the skins and electronics tray.

I have completed the frame. And most of the gantry.
IMG_0829.jpg
Frame with gantry test fit.

I mounted the z-motor table bracket upside down so that all of my z belt is hidden below the extrusion frame of the cutting table. I've added an additional 40mm to the X on the cutting table and X of the machine to allow for a 12x24 sheet of acrylic to be put in the machine uncut. It looks like I'll end up with a 23" wide cutting area. These modification mean I need an 82" belt for the Z drive. Unfortunately econobelt is backordered on everything and they are the only supplier I could find to get an 82" belt. Anyone have any ideas on alternate suppliers for this?
IMG_0830.jpg
z-motor bracket

A couple things I ran into.
  • Part #9 in drawing D30027 actually needs 8 t-nuts in the top (2 for z-motor, 2 for z table bracket, 2 for tube mounts, 2 for rear mirror mount)
  • Z-Motor mount should mount the opposite direction to hide belts under the table edge, otherwise laser will likely cut your belt if you are using a non solid cutting bed.
  • Could not get 130/132 kabelschelps for the Y axis in the 15mm wide version. I got 180s instead and they seem to fit fine. Same width just longer links.
  • D19013 drawing is buried in the forums and not linked in the drawings section. Took some hunting to find.
Gadroc

Postby StigOE » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Gadroc wrote:These modification mean I need an 82" belt for the Z drive. Unfortunately econobelt is backordered on everything and they are the only supplier I could find to get an 82" belt. Anyone have any ideas on alternate suppliers for this?

Have you tried http://www.sdp-si.com? From what I have read somewhere else, they're the same company, but better stocked and higher prices.
StigOE

Postby Gadroc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Yep. They stock 74" and 95" belts which are to small and to big respectively. I need some where from an 80 to 84" to fit where I need it to.
Gadroc

Next

Return to Build Logs