Andrew's "Stock" 2.x Build Log

Post your build logs here

Re: Andrew's "Stock" 2.x Build Log

Postby BenJackson » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:00 am

I didn't use a square at all. I verified that the cuts by Misumi were accurate and just focused on making sure everything was flush and snug when the corner clamps were tightened. Then I verified square by measuring diagonals. Anywhere I had to get something "floating" to be square I used two identical objects (eg 1-2-3 blocks) referenced off some piece that was already square to the frame.

I did level the whole frame and use a level to help me get the gantry perfect.
BenJackson

V-Rails

Postby andrewblanejr » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:21 am

I got my Y-axis v-rails glued up last night (friday). just took the clamps off tonight and applied some oil to keep them from rusting. unfortunately i noticed today that while wiping off excess super glue last night i accidentally got some on the v-rails including the pointy area. looks like im going to have to take some sandpaper to it to get the dried glue off :-(. Half of the x-axis gantry rail is drying (with clamps) right now. I'll post some pics tomorrow :-).

/Andrew
andrewblanejr

Postby bdring » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Use scotch brite. It will not damage the rails. Wipe a little acetone (nail polish remover) on the spot too. Be careful not to get it in the joint.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby andrewblanejr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 pm

The Scotch Brite pads with Acetone worked really well. I don't "think" i got any in the joints. fingers crossed.
andrewblanejr

Postby bboettjer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Hey,
I've been lurking here for quite a while...
I'm getting ready to dive in and make one of these puppies, as well.... Maybe we can help each other...
I live in Oceanside, which is just north of San Diego (I work in SD, so it isn't that far)...
and I have a Joes 4x4 CNC router (4 foot by 4 foot by 6 inch)...

I need to develop the design files to cut out skins anyways... If you don't mind being the alpha-recipient (maybe more loss of material) maybe we can work together.... You'd just need to get the sheets of plastic... I won't ask for any $$.

I only offer because it sounds like you are local, and it's work I need to do anyways... I really don't want to step on anyone's feet, as the service and pricing provided here for materials and worked goods is just awesome... And I have zero interest in keeping folks happy through mail-order (you guys don't realize what an incredible person it takes to keep the machine running!)...

Whaddya think?
Bruce
bboettjer

Postby andrewblanejr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi Bruce,

I really appreciate the offer. I'm actually in Pullman, WA now most of the time (although at the moment im in San Diego, CA until Friday). I've already committed to another skin source at the moment. I'd love to be of assistance to you though, so let me know if there is anything i can do. Or feel free to give me a call for a quick chat if you feel like discussing 2.x stuff. You can PM me for my number.

Best,
Andrew
andrewblanejr

Previous

Return to Build Logs