Mike's EyeZap Laser Cutter

Post your build logs here

Re: Mike's EyeZap Laser Cutter

Postby mikegrundvig » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Not super exciting stuff, but necessary. I figure I'll have something more interesting soon. This next picture shows clamps on each of the corners of the table to sturdy it up. Based on some of the learning's of the Blackhole laser project, I decided to go with more than just core screws for the table so I can use the pinned mechanism iGull suggested for table movement. With core screws augmented by clamps, the table will be super sturdy.
table-bottom-detail.JPG

While I was looking at the design, I realized that my rollers were positioned in such a way that the supporting extrusion would actually catch edges of material badly. So I ended up moving the holes for the 1/4" rods out and up a touch. They look like this now:
table-wheel-bracket-updated.JPG
table-wheel-bracket-updated.JPG (16.69 KiB) Viewed 21394 times

Here is a picture of the table as it stands now. The rollers are the only visible difference as the table supports are underneath.
table-updated.JPG

I'm working on the updated mirror mounts now. I hope to have a picture this evening or tomorrow. As always, feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby mikegrundvig » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:30 am

Finally getting around to an update. Sorry for the delay! I ended up getting three wisdom teeth pulled last week and that certainly slowed down my progress a bit. More than that though, I've been agonizing back and forth on a few decisions in the project. No, not the tube-mounted gantry! I'm still all over that one.

Specifically, I've decided to go with a 100 watt Reci tube. It's a bit shorter and fatter than a normal 100 watt tube while it also has a nice long lifespan. Lots of people on CNCZone seem to like them too. This means the gantry has to be a few inches longer and the tube mounts need to be a bit beefier. The up-side is lots of wattage goodness.

Now the one that will make some of you happy. I'm scrapping my custom mirror mounts. I've come up with three different designs - one of which I really like but unfortunately, all of them are a ton of machining work. As I made them better, they just become more and more convoluted. I finally stepped back and looked and realized that I was working to solve a problem that just didn't need to be solved. In the end, I ordered two of these:
http://www.lightobject.com/Pro-20mm-ref ... -P589.aspx
:
Does anyone have a CAD model or accurate diagram of these somewhere? This is the head I snagged:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120819589487?ss ... 422wt_1037

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby iGull » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 am

Happy New Year All

Mike, just so happens that the optics you mention are the same as the one's I use on the Blackhole from Coletech - the new nozzle design is slightly different - more sort of snub nosed.
I believe Jason has the same units now too.

I've attached a Sketchup 8 file I created at the time I bought my optics. The sizing must be pretty good as all my CNC cut parts fitted dead nuts on - Sketchup never ceases to amaze me - I swapped over to it about a year ago having used Vectorworks (nee MiniCAD) for about 20 years - I retired and my company no longer paid for it - if only they did an old folks version rather than those educational versions :D

Cheers

Neil
Attachments
Coletech Optics.zip
Sketchup file of Coletech optics
(153.3 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby mikegrundvig » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Doh! This is exactly what I need but nothing can import Sketchup files. Do you have the pro version that could export these into IGES or STP or any other 3d format? Thanks!

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby artwood_decor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:34 am

I would be interested in those files too (step, iges)
Wanna check with my design before ordering them.
artwood_decor

Postby iGull » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:36 am

Hi
I have the pro version of Sketchup 8, but it only exports some oddball formats (I consider dxf to be oddball :D )
It does do 3ds, so have included that.
I downloaded the free stl exporter from cadspan that a lot of the 3d build folks use and it seems to have done a decent job, so have also included that along with a quick screendump to see that it DID look like something useful before exporting :) :) :)
I had to repair a few leaky faces before exporting.

I'll rake about and see if I can find a free iges exporter. Sadly, it's not just a simple matter of exporting from one format to another - depends on whether the object was nurbs or mesh - bit like creating an ice sculpture from water :lol:

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Neil
Attachments
Coletech Optics.zip
STL, 3DS and Screendump
(484.03 KiB) Downloaded 1070 times
iGull

Postby educa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm

iGull these optics look very very nice in sketchup.

I'm currently trying to draw my machine in sketchup so this is very nice to use. Thank you.

Are you also using these optics ? Bought from Coletech ? I might have some questions about them in the nearby future and hope that I can ask them to you.
educa

Postby iGull » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:54 pm

educa wrote:Are you also using these optics ? Bought from Coletech ? I might have some questions about them in the nearby future and hope that I can ask them to you.

Yes, you can see them on my buildlog (blackhole laser) - feel free to ask - I know nothing :D

Cheers

Neil
iGull

Postby lovebugjunkie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Another source of a stl exporter for sketchup.
http://www.guitar-list.com/download-sof ... dxf-or-stl
lovebugjunkie

Postby iGull » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes, I tried that first, but it failed to export correctly - the cadspan one worked first time - I still have both, so I'll maybe give it a second chance :D

Thanks

Neil
iGull

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs