Integrated base and vacuum box

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Integrated base and vacuum box

Postby buildsomething » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 pm

The design for this base was made from 5/8" Melamine using a "D" type box contruction.
I tried to integrate stength by introducing vertical members inside the box as well as provide an internal plenum for the exhaust to be drawn through. I have used this DIY system on many other projects and it really is extremely strong, very cheap and very flat as well. The most important part of this is that all the pieces must be cut square and straight otherwise the concept does not work. Any large DIY hardware location like Home Depot, Lowes etc does provide cutting facilites which are extremely accurate, square and cheap. Unless you have a large table saw and can manipulate a 4' x 8' sheet of laminated board.....don't!!!

The overall dimension of this base / vacuum box is 63" x 30" x 6" deep. The maximum cutting area for the laser
is 15" wide x 48" long.

The whole assembly will then be mounted on a mobile bench will will hold the controls, PC, power supplies and air compressor. The exhaust system will be outside of the working area...not shown yet.

Everything is held together with # 10 1-1/2" wood screw every 6" or so. You can use some RTV in the joints to make it more air tight...but that up to you.

Any areas that are exposed to the beam are covered up using either aluminum sheet or aluminum tape. I''ve even entertained the thought of lining the inside cavity with ceramic tiles. Good experience if you want to do home reno at a later date..... :lol:

Richard
Attachments
DSC00772.JPG
Honeycomb material supported using 1/2" alum angle and 3/16" alum rod. This give good airflow as well as get the honeycomb material to the right height
DSC00772.JPG (391.78 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
DSC00568.JPG
Top view.
DSC00568.JPG (523.94 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
DSC00561.JPG
Exposed bottom view of the vacuum box
DSC00561.JPG (227.71 KiB) Viewed 8467 times
DSC00793.JPG
Exposed areas cover with tape. Angle aluminum is used to raise the honeycomb material and provide exhaust paths
DSC00793.JPG (612.76 KiB) Viewed 8467 times
buildsomething

Re: Integrated base and vacuum box

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 pm

That looks great. The honeycomb material has a lot of advantages. The foil size is usually less than 0.001" so it is almost like the work piece is floating on air. I get some affects from the table if I use anything else. I have a very thick honeycomb of about 2". With that, the diverging beam appears to bounce off the walls, which dissipates the energy, and has virtually no bounce back. It is almost like an anechoic effect on the beam. Your angle bars will have the same affect. No real beam is going to bounce back.

The down draft table is going to be great too. I have a great flushing blower, but smoke still stains the top sometimes.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Integrated base and vacuum box

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:28 am

looks like you also have the means to do some vacuum forming with that table. Just put a big oven somewhere else in your shop.
lasersafe1

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.