Pull out honeycomb z table?

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Pull out honeycomb z table?

Postby jofinneg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm putting together components for a 48" x 36" laser cutter. I'll be using a pre-fabricated xy gantry and attaching it to a Misumi framework.
Since I'll be working with such large sheets, it occurred to me that it would be incredibly helpful to have my honeycomb table able to slide out the front for loading and unloading of sheets. I will be primarily working in 1/4" ply. I do not believe I'll need an adjustable z axis in the foreseeable future, though it would be pretty amazing to somehow integrate an adjustable z with a pull out table.
Has anyone seen this done before?
Any suggestions moving forward with the idea?

Thanks,
John
Adorable laser cut kids clocks at www.LeLuni.com
jofinneg

Re: Pull out honeycomb z table?

Postby kbob » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:57 pm

How about simply putting the front skin on hinges so you can slide your work pieces in? There's no real reason to remove the table, is there? If you cut out a bunch of small pieces, you can just lift them out through the top. If the finished piece is big, slide it back out through the front. If you don't remove the table, Z adjustment is easy.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Re: Pull out honeycomb z table?

Postby TLHarrell » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Set up your optics to include the Z adjustment on the flying head (telescoping final lens mount). Then you don't need an adjustable table. Hinge up part of the front skin with the door so there's a clear opening in front of the cutting grid frame. Put the frame on full extension drawer glides or some linkages which will allow it to lift out of the machine and sit out front for loading and cleaning.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.