makertoolkit extrusion

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

makertoolkit extrusion

Postby mickb » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Everybody,

We are running a kickstarter to try to raise the funds for new extrusion that may be interesting to machine builders. Please check out the project here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mic ... for-makers

Thanks,
Mick
mickb

Re: makertoolkit extrusion

Postby canadianavenger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Firstly you do realize that this site is owned/maintained by the creator of makerslide, something that you are competing with directly?

Secondly, while I do like the steel insert idea, there is a reason why it is much cheaper than machined rails... precision. The steel bars you are inserting lack any sort of precision or straightness, your extrusion will actually be much straighter and smoother than your steel inserts. While perhaps not as durable, open rail and makerslide will be much better solutions for building the lightweight machines this class of extrusion would be appropriate for, in my opinion.
canadianavenger

Postby bdring » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:23 pm

I am OK with the post. The more options, the better.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mickb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks Bart, like you said, the more options, the better.

candadianavenger:
canadianavenger wrote:Firstly you do realize that this site is owned/maintained by the creator of makerslide, something that you are competing with directly?

I know that Bart created MakerSlide. I am a big fan of his work and appreciate everything he has done for this community.
We are not competing directly with MakerSlide. Our extrusion is double the size of MakerSlide and it is not created to replace it, but to offer options to people that are building larger machines and need larger profile.

canadianavenger wrote:Secondly, while I do like the steel insert idea, there is a reason why it is much cheaper than machined rails... precision. The steel bars you are inserting lack any sort of precision or straightness, your extrusion will actually be much straighter and smoother than your steel inserts.

This is not correct. Cold rolled steel bars we are using are higher tolerance then aluminum extrusion. They also have higher surface finish then the extruded aluminum.

canadianavenger wrote:While perhaps not as durable, open rail and makerslide will be much better solutions for building the lightweight machines this class of extrusion would be appropriate for, in my opinion.

You mention Open Rail, which in my opinion is closer competitor to MakerSlide, while you are upset that I posted a link to our Kickstarter project. You are entitled to your own opinion, nothing wrong with that, but I had to point out the things that were incorrect.
If you have any more questions, please message me directly and I will be happy chat or send you more info.

Mick
mickb

Postby loopingz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:07 am

The idea looks pretty interesting for big machine.
loopingz

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.