Obvious but helpful assembly tip

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Obvious but helpful assembly tip

Postby hoda0013 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

I found when skinning my enclosure that it can be pretty hard to place the t-nuts in the correct place on vertical sections. They always slide to the bottom of the track which can be very frustrating. On the horizontal sections the nuts don't slide around on their own, but it can be a pain sliding them to the correct position with the panel in the way. An easy solution I found is to use a rare earth magnet to maneuver the t nuts around. This works really well and has saved me a lot of swearing.
hoda0013

Re: Obvious but helpful assembly tip

Postby bdring » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 pm

I always use the ball spring nuts on the vertical rails to keep them in place. The magnet is a great idea to get them lined up the first time.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby LeonS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Another approach that I will use is to use a small squirt of hot glue in the groove below the t-nut. The glue holds the nut firmly in position but can easily be removed with needle nosed pliers if needed. I used dabs of hot glue to secure the wires in the extrusion groves and it works great. You can use a razor blade to trim off any glue that is sticking out of the groove (best done while still warm).

- Leon
LeonS

Postby bdring » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:54 pm

I actually find it helpful to be able to slide the nuts around. You get one screw started, then slide the whole panel over to catch the next one.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:48 pm

I get all the horizontal nuts close enough that I will be able to get at them with a small allen wrench for final alignment. The verticals, I just start onto the screws and slid them in from the top of the rail. Taking them back out, I just ensure I don't remove the vertical screws completely, only enough to loosen and slide the panel up.

On one occasion, I did "drop" a nut to the bottom of the slot. The magnet idea would have been handy then. We'll see if I can remember that next time :mrgreen:
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.