New cutting table alternative

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

New cutting table alternative

Postby twehr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:55 pm

Like many of you, I have been on what seems to be a never-ending search for the perfect cutting table for my laser. I finally found a pretty good solution. It is a metal grid from a light fixture.

Eggcrate Table Top.png

If you wan to read all the gruesome details, look here.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Re: New cutting table alternative

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Tim,

You mentioned in your blog that you didn't have a reliable source for this yet, but I think I found a source on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JESMOND-HUBBARD ... 2eb6beb9e7

They cost about $18 with shipping. They are 2'x4' x 1/2". The cells look to be about 1/2" in size. I am going to give this a try because my current bed leaves pitch stains on the bottom and I'm getting sick of cleaning them up. What do you suppose is the best way to cut this to size? I'm guessing a pair of small tin snips would work well without tearing everything up.
dirktheeng

Postby twehr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:01 pm

dirktheeng wrote:Tim,

You mentioned in your blog that you didn't have a reliable source for this yet, but I think I found a source on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JESMOND-HUBBARD ... 2eb6beb9e7

They cost about $18 with shipping. They are 2'x4' x 1/2". The cells look to be about 1/2" in size. I am going to give this a try because my current bed leaves pitch stains on the bottom and I'm getting sick of cleaning them up. What do you suppose is the best way to cut this to size? I'm guessing a pair of small tin snips would work well without tearing everything up.

Thanks for the lead. I'll check it out and add it to the blog.

I just used tin snips to cut between ribs. The stub ends can easily be bent over and back a couple of time to remove. Works great.

I did not mention in the article, but I did construct a light frame for it using aluminum channel for 1/2 plywood - picked up at hardware store.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby whmeade10 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:39 pm

I think the guy on eBay bought his material from here http://surpluscityliquidators.com/view_product/152513/251 and is reselling it. It is in the same city and he used the same picture . I am going to order a piece but asked what shipping will be before I give up my credit card #. I will let you know how it goes.

Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby whmeade10 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:08 pm

I just placed my order with Surplus City Liquidators and the final cost for a 24" x 48" 1/2" thick piece of aluminum egg crate was $9.00 + $10.48 FEDEX Shipping. :D

Bill
Last edited by whmeade10 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whmeade10

Postby twehr » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 pm

whmeade10 wrote:I just placed my order with Surplus City Liquidators and the final cost for a 24" x 48" 1/2" thick piece of aluminum egg crate was $9.00 + $13.50 FEDEX Shipping. :D

Bill

That is about the same as the shipping from the other place. You did save $5 off the eBay price. Maybe it is even the same company, just charging more on eBay to cover extra expenses.
tim
--

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby gene » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 am

just ordered one from surplus city liquidators thanks for posting this :)
gene

Postby whmeade10 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:57 pm

I just received my egg crate return material from Surplus City Liquidators this morning. Now I need to get it cut to size and test it out. It should work a lot better that the expanded metal I am currently using. I will get 2 pieces out of it at a cost of $9.75 each. :D

Egg Crate Cutting Table Surface.jpg
New cutting/engraving table surface.

Bill
whmeade10

Postby Chankster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Finally got the invoice for mine and shipping via FedEx was 17.39 for a total of 26.39. Makes me wonder what made the shipping that much more expensive?
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby whmeade10 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Chankster wrote:Finally got the invoice for mine and shipping via FedEx was 17.39 for a total of 26.39. Makes me wonder what made the shipping that much more expensive?

I wonder if it might have been because I had it sent to my work address (Business Address) instead of a residential address. It seems that when I have items sent to my work it is usually cheaper.

Bill
whmeade10

Next

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.