Gantry end parts

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Gantry end parts

Postby steppenshoe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Is there anywhere to get the end pieces for the gantry parts other than from buildlog? Has anyone got a drawing made from something readily available? I know this is open source, but if parts have to be purchased from here that really is not true open source. There must be a supplier for these parts or someone must know how to go about bending that metal, I can not find a small, cheap enough break to bend something that thick. Any help would be appreciated, it seems that he is out of stock or not selling anything else until the kick starter stuff is done.
steppenshoe

Re: Gantry end parts

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:46 pm

I have stopped fabricating any new parts "myself" for a while, but I do not fabricate these parts, I have them made by a sheet metal vendor. Unfortunately I ran out of these parts a few weeks ago. I have new parts on order and they are due about a week from next Wednesday. I will sell them as soon as I get them. Any decent shop should be able to make them. I have laser shops do them. There are a hundred shops within a 1/2 hour from me that could do it.

My original open source laser was a lot easier to fabricate from scratch, but in reality very few people wanted to make their own parts. The overwhelming feedback I got was quality and cost over ease of self fabrication. The motor end plate does about 5 jobs in one high quality part.

Open source hardware has a lot of issues associated with it. The source is not as important as what the source is used on. If you need a 3000w laser, a CNC brake and a anodizing tank to make the part, what good is the source. There are no easy ways around that. Even reraps use single source electric parts.

Open source hardware is more about the goals and community behind the design. If you asked me for the full 3D model, my gerber files, who I buy from, what I paid for it, my software, I would gladly turn it over. I do it every day. If you wanted to buy 500 gantry plates and start selling them yourself...I have no problem with that either.

I understand your frustration and impatience. They are good things. That is what is driving the "open source" movement forward so fast.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby steppenshoe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm

I guess I am impatient, but that is not my main issue.

Of course I am grateful for all you put into this. I'll tell you right now if it was me I would charge for those plans and make the forum part of the fee just like Joe's cnc does. I would have to charge, I do not have any work right now and that would be my full time job. We are lucky you have the time and money to do this for us. I would gladly have paid you 100.00 to 150.00. But it is very difficult to donate that when I know most people are not giving that kind of money. I bet many agree that the plans and this forum are worth that kind of money though.

I think it may be nice to have an alternative to paying a shop to make the gantry end pieces or getting them from you(which is a nice service and price ) What if 100 people were waiting and they all were impatient, I have a feeling what you get may sell out within a week or two. Obviously you live in a big city to be able to find so many places to that for you. For a one off around here I have been told a 100.00, that's totally insane, If I get 50 its more like 10.00 a piece or something close, they did not give an exact price,but I get where they are coming from too. It's time off their regular work to do something one time for someone that is not going to be coming back.

I can pay someone to make every part of the machine really, I just want to find a way not to have to rely on any company to make me anything at all. When I made my CNC I bought a welder and taught myself to weld just so I could make my own base, most guys just paid a welding shop. Well, I got to keep the welder, have a better base and got to keep all the tools and gained a new skill. Plus, I can make mods anytime myself now! I would like to do the same cutting, forming and bending small metal parts. For your design I really can get everything or make everything easily and get the machine together in a matter of days, except for those 2 parts.

I guess I will keep looking for info on how to bend the parts. All the breaks I have found are just to expensive to do this little bending. I am sure I could do a one off heating up the metal and bending it over on a vise, but it may look like crap. I guess I will try the little Grizzly that is made for 18 gauge metal, maybe since the bends are so small it will do it. I can get the metal, I know to cut the holes first and can do that with my CNC, its only the bending part I have to figure out. It would be nice to show guys how to make the parts for those that want to make them either becasue they are impatient or like me, just want to make them. If anyone has any pointers let me know, when I figure it out I will show how I did it. Or possibly I can come up with something that requires no bending.

I'll buy from you when they come available as well. If I do not get them done before you get some in having them in hand would make it simper to make them anyway.
Last edited by steppenshoe on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steppenshoe

Postby BenJackson » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:34 pm

If you can weld it would be much easier to make some flats and weld them together.
BenJackson

Postby steppenshoe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:37 pm

I don't weld aluminum for various reasons, never have tried and told not to with my equipment. I guess I could do steel, though that will be much heavier. Maybe for these little itty bitty parts aluminum may be okay, I'll have to ask someone that knows more about welding aluminum.
steppenshoe

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:52 pm

I think I actually have 2 out of the three brackets. I'll check when I get home from work (day job).

BTW: I don't charge for the plans or forum because then people would actually have the right to complain :lol:
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby lovebugjunkie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Since you have a cnc router and the files are available just make changes and cut the parts out of cast acrylic. Cast acrylic would work well in building this machine. IMO. I have used it in a cnc router I am making to hold the timing belt pulleys and so far I am happy with it.
lovebugjunkie

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:12 pm

I found a complete set of sheet metal in the special reserve bin. steppenshoe...please email directly to get the parts.

bdring AT buildlog.net
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby steppenshoe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:51 pm

@lovebug, these parts are bent though, glue the parts together?

@ bdring sounds great!
steppenshoe

Postby lovebugjunkie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:40 am

I used the solvent they sell at stores that carry cast acrylic. I made a few picture frames by "welding" the back to the base. While on the router I had made small holes on the base. Put them together using the solvent and then drilled through the holes I made on the router into the back support. Then put small brass machine screws just as an added precaution.

Done right the cast acrylic to acrylic joint is very strong just using the correct solvent,
lovebugjunkie

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.