Possible to share existing dryer vent?

Anything to do with air assist, vacuum tables, fume extraction and related...

Possible to share existing dryer vent?

Postby leros » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 am

My washer and dryer are in the garage, right next to where I want to put my laser cutter. The only other place I have to vent is across the garage and is currently being used by my air conditioner. I rent my house so I can't add another vent.

Is there a safe way to use the existing dryer vent for both my dryer and the laser cutter?

I could connect the dryer and the laser cutter to the existing vent with a Y-connect and put blast gates on both lines. Blast gates (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-4-Aluminum-Blast-Gate/dp/B0035Y7D4E) are normally used in suction situations like dust collection. In this case, they'd be blocking airflow from one device from the other. Not sure if that works.

Diagram of what I'm imagining:

Just exploring this option. My other option is to completely rearrange my garage workshop to put the laser near my existing vent and I'd have to turn off the air condition while using the laser.
leros

Re: Possible to share existing dryer vent?

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I do this and it seems OK. Definitely put a blast gate in so it doesn't back up through the cooker extractor fan (also shared at my house) and fill the kitchen with the smell of burning extruded acrylic. My wife was not happy with me! :roll:
Fred

Postby TLHarrell » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes, mechanically it's plausible to do it this way. I would highly recommend keeping an eye on the inside of the vent from the dryer to make sure there is never a buildup of lint in the vent system. Also, make sure everyone is aware of the operation of the blast gates. Do not run with both open, ever. Always check the blast gates before using either device.

Or, look into using a duct diverter instead. Might be a little more costly initially, but it's half as many things to move around. It's a wye with a switch basically.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby leros » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:09 pm

I had not heard of duct diverters.

The other option I saw is a quick disconnect system. This eliminates any risk of leakage between the dryer and laser, but would be more annoying to use.
leros

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:15 pm

When you rent, sometimes you end up having to do things differently. I just have mine piped up through the attic to a ridge vent on the roof with a 4" inline blower up near the end. My dryer vent goes exactly the wrong place to be useful for laser exhaust.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby fifacoin19 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 am

others whilst get lucky and stay in unique models reminiscent of grade.
fifacoin19

Return to Air Assist/Vacuum/Fume Extraction