Misumi order

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Misumi order

Postby mondo50m » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm

I attempted to order my extrusion from Misumi today. Everythng went smoothly until we got to the shipping part. Theystated that there is no way for them to give me a shipping cost until the material is packaged and ready to ship, and the order can not be cancelled at that time. This puts the buyer in a really bad position. I mean, the shipping could feasibly be anywhere from $0.00 to hundreds of dollars. No one in their right mind would puchanse ANYTHING that way. Has anyone else experienced this problem. And if so, how much was you shipping?

Milt
mondo50m

Re: Misumi order

Postby bdring » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 pm

My shipping has always been reasonable. Beware of the option to allow separate shipments. They sometimes make sound like one part might take a while, but then they ship it the day after the original shipment. That typically only adds about $10, but still a little annoying.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mondo50m » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 pm

The unit I am building is the same as yours just a little bit larger. I used the scaleable buildlog that was on the site. The longest piece is about 43". Any ballpark figure on the shipping, I just can't be purchasing without some knowledge of pricing. It is like giving them permission to charge whatever they need to make budget for the mont. Any help with a ballpark figure would be helpful.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby roberlin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm

The thing you have to be careful about is ordering long pieces.
If it is over some threshold (in the neighborhood of 2 meters, although misumi won't tell you exactly how long) then they have to do freight shipping (like $150).
But 43" is totally safe.
I would be surprised if it is more than $15 (mine are usually around $10)
roberlin

Postby bdring » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm

I looked at 10 orders. The highest was $15 then $12 then the rest below that. The $15 was for my plasma which had some big 40x40 cross section pieces. That is shipping to a residential (but not rural) address.

That method is very common in the industrial world. It is the cheapest way....no padding an estimate. They get awesome UPS rates too.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mondo50m » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Thank you for the response. That eases my mind alot. I had visions of getting hit with extremely high rates for the shipping.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby SystemsGuy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:13 am

What Bart said is true in my experience, on both sides of the pond. We did end up with a call on an order of some 2m extrusion, despite the fact that UPS will - in theory - ship up to 2.7m (108 inches) where they wanted freight rates.

Caveat here - I'm ordering on a business account.
SystemsGuy

Return to General Discussion