Laser Tube Accuracy

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Laser Tube Accuracy

Postby mikegrundvig » Mon May 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Quick question: on the RECI tubes, how centered is the beam from the tube. I'm looking for an 80 watt tube and I need to know if the beam will be coming from the dead center of the tube so I can determine how much alignment flexibility I need to have. Are the tubes really consistent? Thanks!

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Re: Laser Tube Accuracy

Postby bdring » Mon May 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I have not worked with an 80W much. I am sure they use fixtures to build these things. I would think they are as accurate as any other part of your system.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby educa » Mon May 27, 2013 8:22 pm

I work with the W2 80Watt RECI tube and as far as I can tell they are really centered.

But... be aware that reci says you should never put your tube 100% horizontal. The tubes front (negative pole) should be higher then the back (positive pole) because water will be flowing from positive side to negative (higher) size and because of that height difference a few millimeters you can besure that air bubbles go away.

So... don't worry about it at all. Just buy the tube, be certain to buy a DY10 power supple and the RECI!!!! tube holders.

The only thing you need to do is then put the tube in, align is with the tube holders so you hit the first mirror right in center and from there on the work of the tube itself is done and the next big task is to align mirrors.
educa

Postby BenJackson » Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 pm

educa wrote:But... be aware that reci says you should never put your tube 100% horizontal. The tubes front (negative pole) should be higher then the back (positive pole) because water will be flowing from positive side to negative (higher) size and because of that height difference a few millimeters you can besure that air bubbles go away.

I have a "normal" tube and if I ever have cause to remove the tube I will probably tilt it like this. Right now it stays filled with water so bubbles are only a problem if I cause it to drain (by manipulating the tubing) and I have to lift up one end of the frame to flush them out.
BenJackson

Postby mikegrundvig » Tue May 28, 2013 2:15 am

I'd not planned on using the RECI holders, is there something particularly special about them?

As for the tilting, that's a great idea and not something I'd thought about at all. I'll make sure to work that into the design going forward.

The reason I'm asking about this is that I'd like to CNC machine a single fixture for both of the 90 degree reflecting mirror mounts putting them directly in line with each other and just using the built-in adjustment screws to align things. It would make for a sturdier and more solid mount all around. Thanks!

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Return to General Discussion