Skins, what has been used for skins?

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Skins, what has been used for skins?

Postby verncoc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:47 pm

I was wondering what other people have used for skins. There are a couple of places that are listed that you can order skins from but there must be other materials and locations to obtain them. I would think they should non flammable.
What are your thoughts?
verncoc

Re: Skins, what has been used for skins?

Postby JValliere » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:36 pm

I used 12ga sheet metal. Overkill? Yes, but once it was powder coated...turned out nice.
JValliere

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:01 pm

The specified aluminum/polyethylene/aluminum sandwich (Dibond, Alupanel etc) is an excellent material -- can't improve much on it. It's lightweight, very stiff, available in a range of colors ready-finished and covered with a tough coat, commonly available, not flammable, fairly cheap, there are plenty of companies with equipment to cut it to your specification, and cutting is not terribly expensive either. Most sign makers will stock it and cut it for you. What's there not to like about it?
cvoinescu

Postby pourcirm » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:07 pm

I think the choice is really up to you. Just make sure it's a laser safe material that can be cut and attached to the frame properly. I'm waiting on a set of skins that someone is cutting me that are made from 1/8 inch aluminum plate. Like JValliere said this might be overkill, but someone is cutting them for me for cheap so I figured why not. All about what you can get your hands on.
pourcirm

Postby verncoc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:34 am

I ended up using .060 aluminum sheets. I cut them in my shop and a friend of mine powder coated them. 4x8 sheet of aluminum at a local supplier is under $80.
They look very nice.
verncoc

Return to General Discussion