How to buy Barts laser cutter kit

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

How to buy Barts laser cutter kit

Postby Tesla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 am

Hey guys, so the laser cutter that Bart has on his site, is there a kit that i can assemble or do i have to go to 20 different places to buy the kits.

Thank you
Tesla

Re: How to buy Barts laser cutter kit

Postby JValliere » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:38 pm

My experience was....20 different places.
JValliere

Postby Mr.ChronoM » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Some parts also need to be custom made, so without kits available from Bart (or someone else) to buy, it got a lot harder to build one of these.

That actually is one of the key points why I probably won't try to build one :/
Mr.ChronoM

Postby Enraged » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 pm

I spoke with Edward from the Shapeoko site, and he is going to look into getting the metal brackets made for us. All of the other parts are much simpler to make (either 3D printed or cut with a CNC router).
Enraged

Postby customdev » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:32 am

If you are looking for part sets for the Laser 1.0 I have ten sets of the plastic parts. If you are looking for the 2.X I am getting ready to do a production run. Is anyone interested?
customdev

Postby leros » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:27 am

Enraged wrote:I spoke with Edward from the Shapeoko site, and he is going to look into getting the metal brackets made for us. All of the other parts are much simpler to make (either 3D printed or cut with a CNC router).

That's good to hear. The metal parts were a pain in the neck to get. I looked at some local metal fabricators and was quoted ridiculous rates for a one-off run. I ended up paying a similarly ridiculous amount of money to buy them from somebody on this forum.

The plastic parts and the skins are simple enough that you can get them made by anybody with a CNC machine for a reasonable price. You're doing a one-off run, so you're still going to be paying more than what Bart was charging for his kits, but the prices are still reasonable.

The remaining mechanical and electronics I acquired through 10+ different suppliers. A mixture of industrial suppliers, eBay, and lightobject.com.
leros

Return to General Discussion