Bora Silica Glass

Where you can find stuff.

Bora Silica Glass

Postby tmccafferty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 am

I understand I need bora silica glass to print on. What is a good source?
tmccafferty

Re: Bora Silica Glass

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 am

Tim - I found it at my local glass shop, but for "less hassle" try Trinity Labs online shop - I ordered two pieces from them before Christmas. Not associated with 'em, just a customer!

tmccafferty wrote:I understand I need bora silica glass to print on. What is a good source?
SystemsGuy

Postby macona » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:15 pm

tmccafferty wrote:I understand I need bora silica glass to print on. What is a good source?

That is borosilicate. Also known as pyrex and a few other trade names.
macona

Postby brnrd » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:12 pm

I print with regular window glass. It's good enough for both PLA and ABS. You can buy it at your local homedepot or lowes cheap. They will even cut it for you according to some people. But they won't dull the edges.
brnrd

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 pm

I use window or picture frame glass. The only issue you need to watch for is cracking due to uneven heating. Heat it up slowly and evenly and do not place cold items on hot glass. With that said, I run standard hot beds under the glass at full power.

The glass on my Delta is 1/4 thick window glass. This was done by the glass place next door. It cost about $30 with the polished edge. I have it heated by a 160 watt aluminum plate. I have run this as high as about 120C in about 8 minutes.

This is a pic from #ORDCamp. There was a robot drink maker in the next room, so I had it make my robot a drink. :D

robot_drink.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to Sources for stuff