Intro and prototype

Show pictures of stuff you made

Intro and prototype

Postby mnash6 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi All,

I thought I would introduce myself to the forum and post a picture or 2 of a prototype I have been working on. The photos are of a circuline flor. light running off a 12v inverter. The light is made out of 1/8" acrylic, wood veneer, and rice paper. My future plans are to use a high frequency driver and a cold cathode flor. tube (CCFL tubes can last 100,000 to 300,000 hrs. - the current design makes bulb replacement a bit of a pain)
Attachments
DSC03119.JPG
DSC03133.JPG
mnash6

Re: Intro and prototype

Postby gene » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 pm

That's really neat. Do you have any open source plans/files of it for others to create it?

Gene
gene

Re: Intro and prototype

Postby mnash6 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Gene,

I plan to release this for open source once I get the documentation finished. The final design is not quite finished but will be soon. There is a ceiling mount with an internal electronic ballast. Also, it's kind of a complicated build and a pain in the ass to change out the bulb. My original design intent was to make the most refined product I could with a minimum amount of materials. I think the total cost of the materials including the bulb is under $20. The unit is self supporting and has no internal metal framework. The wiring weaves through the center acrylic supports. FYI - I originally had access to a rather large flying optic laser 48" x 60" (a cheap chinese machine) for the veneer shades. I don't think Bart's 2.0 machine is large enough to cut the shades in one piece as in my original design. If after all that you want to build one, send me your email address and I will send you all of my current part files.

Michael

mnash6@me.com
mnash6

Return to Gallery