X Axis prototype video

No build log?...Post Pictures of your laser here

X Axis prototype video

Postby pixpop » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:52 am

Here's a video of my X axis prototype undergiong its first test.

I've since dismantled it and rebuilt using the lessons learned. I'm now working on the Y axis, and will post another video when I start testing that.

pixpop

Re: X Axis prototype video

Postby buildsomething » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Thats looking really good.

Whats the full size of the machine...ie X and y axis travel?

What type of of structure are you planning to mount the rails on? The reason I am asking is that deflection of the rails along the longest axis can be bit of a problem if the structure supporting them are not rigid enough. I found that out, but I also provided areas where I can mount brass shims under the longest rail to remove any deflection. Over a 63" span, I had over .090" of deflection.

Richard
buildsomething

Re: X Axis prototype video

Postby pixpop » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:48 pm

The working area will be 22 inches X by 16 inches Y. The X axis has plenty of opportunity for mounting extra supports. It's mounted on a length of Aluminum tubing, 1.25 inch square x 1/8 inch thick. The Y axis is where I'm likely to see problems, because it's a cantilever. Since the video was shot, I have rebuilt the X axis to increase the rigidity. I haven't check for deflection yet as I still wrestling with dynamics.

I have a 1/4 inch thick top plate on the linear motor that supports the Y axis. Currently, The Y axis is built from Aluminum extrusion, but I suspect it will end up being too heavy, and I will have to rebuild it with Carbon Fiber. Have to do some tests first though. If the Al works, things will be much simpler. My goal is to have it move at 20 IPS , and if Y is too heavy, X won't reach that speed.

I don't know what mechanism I'm going to use for the flying optic yet.
pixpop

Return to Gallery Of Machines