Rotational Adapter

Discussion Related to Blog Posts (suggestions welcome)

Re: Rotational Adapter

Postby BenJackson » Mon May 30, 2011 8:38 pm

If you make a "parking" connector for your Y axis with each phase shorted together it will add braking action to the stationary Y. Might be overkill but it would be easy to do and give you somewhere to put the otherwise loose connector.

I'm also curious to know if the DSP officially supports that hotplug.

Aaand finally I can see that this clever new mounting attachment does not really go with the embedded honeycomb tabletop idea very well.
BenJackson

Postby twehr » Mon May 30, 2011 9:24 pm

dirktheeng wrote:Tim,

That looks really cool! I can't wait to get mine running! I'm really excited!

One quick question:

Were you pulling out the motor wires with the power on? Doesn't that potentially ruin the driver or do you have a special setup that will allow for this?

Just curious.

I have a split connector, 4 lugs for the motor and 2 for the power. MOST of the time, I don't change the motor plugs while the power is plugged in. I have done so before without issue, though.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby twehr » Mon May 30, 2011 9:33 pm

BenJackson wrote:If you make a "parking" connector for your Y axis with each phase shorted together it will add braking action to the stationary Y. Might be overkill but it would be easy to do and give you somewhere to put the otherwise loose connector.

I'm also curious to know if the DSP officially supports that hotplug.

Aaand finally I can see that this clever new mounting attachment does not really go with the embedded honeycomb tabletop idea very well.

DSP question - I don't know. I have plugged and unplugged motor drives hundreds of times and never had a hint of an issue.

As for the table top - you may recall that I suggested the removable top idea before even starting the build. To me, it just did not make sense to make one table top work for all engraving and cutting situations. I currently have 4 configurations, two of which use the same top. I moves tops in and out pretty regularly, and the removable top with registration pins makes it a breeze. I STRONGLY recommend that everyone incorporate some form of quick-change top.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby bdring » Tue May 31, 2011 1:20 pm

Hot plugging many stepper drivers will kill them. I do not know if "disabling" the driver makes it OK, but I would avoid it.

PS: Ben's idea of the shorted parking connector is a good one.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby whmeade10 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Is there any estimate on when the rotational adapter will be ready for prime time? :D
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby bdring » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:21 pm

The adapter needed an 18 tooth pulley for 1000DPI. I accidentally order the wrong belt pitch, so I was waiting for the right pulley. They came in while I was on vacation. I have (1) fully built unit if you want to be beta tester #2. The cost will be $100. Add $15 if you want the custom 2.x mounting feet (more like shoes actually).

Note: We had a bad storm while I was away and have been without power since I have been back. I will have difficulty shipping anything until power is restored.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby J45on » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Could we use an extra socket and a change over switch for the rotational adapter stepper motor ?
For example you fit the rotational adapter to the table ,plug in the stepper motor to a conveniently located socket and then flip the change over switch and job done.
Would this work :?: could it also short the Y axis as well like ben mentioned ?

Also I remember seeing the misumi BOM for the rotational adapter somewhere but I have searched and searched but can not find it again :oops: does anybody have it ?
J45on

Postby bdring » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Your switch idea and Ben's idea would work fine. You need to be careful about hot switching though. Many stepper drivers can be damaged by adding or remove a load "hot". I do not know if the disable mode fixes that. The switch needs to be rated to handle the motor current.

You could also have a female connector on the driver side and each motor have a male. This could be mounted in a place easily accessed by from the door. You could also have a female, shorted parking connector for the off line motor. 9 Pin 'D''s would work fine.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby laserdude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Wow! This site just keeps on getting better. Bdring, you are the absolute laser guru. I have been wanting one of these mechanisms for a long time but, they were too expensive to buy. Thank you for all the VALUABLE information.

Joe :D
laserdude

Postby bdring » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:33 pm

I will ship several tomorrow. I only need to make the 2.x shoes.

The Rotary Engraving Adapter is now on the MakerSlide store. It is listed as sold out, but it has the links to the assembly drawing and parts.

I created started a new document management system that I am testing out. I store files by revision. That creates problems with permanent links. The documents are being put in a database and a link will be used that always returns the latest revision.

Right now the only thing that is publicly viewable is the latest revision, but soon you will be able to review the complete revision history of the any file. You will also be able to determine what has changed recently. You could determine if anything has changed since your last check for example. Another thing will be hot links right in the BOM. I could not do this before because the rev changes would screw it up.

It is a bit of work to enter all the drawings so they will be put in as time allows or if there is a recent change.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Blog Posts