QU-BU Extruder Improvements

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: QU-BU Extruder Improvements

Postby Enraged » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Well I'm done with these QU-BD extruders. After trying Barts filament tensioner thing, getting the new version of the barrel, and buying 2 Arcol hyena wheels, I'm still having jamming issues with 1.75mm PLA.

So I'm going to scavenge the parts and go back to a Wades Reloaded and Jhead, which was working fine until one of the parts cracked due to too much pressure from one of the bolts. Luckily it's not a total loss, I can use the heater cartridge (wrap some copper tape around it and it fits nicely in the Jhead), the thermistors, and the motors.

If anyone wants my QU-BD Modification Kit (Left) send me a PM.
Enraged

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:52 pm

I still have occasional trouble with PLA. It gets so locked in there that no drive system could push it out. I can print small jobs if I use very short retracts.

To remove stuck PLA, I turn off the fan so the whole barrel heats up and run it a few degree hotter then pull it out. Try not to pull so hard the filament breaks. It is a real pain if that happens.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm

The solution I was considering for removing PLA from my QUBD was to remove the hot end and toss it out the window. Not sure if it will work or not.
Enraged

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm

If the window is closed, I've found she who must be pleased is not. I prefer an open window and snow on the ground. To be fair, I didn't get Chelsea to send me the new tube, I'd already given up.

Enraged wrote:The solution I was considering for removing PLA from my QUBD was to remove the hot end and toss it out the window. Not sure if it will work or not.
SystemsGuy

Postby gofast » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:48 am

Oh man....what have I done???

I just ordered a dual MBE from QU-BD because I wanted a commercially available extruder that was ready to go, sounds like I've just blown my money after reading this thread.

Matt
gofast

Postby dave3d » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:55 am

I struggled for so long with a QU-BD extruder. Best decision I made was when I abandoned it and went to a Greggs Wade extruder and a MK V jhead from Hotends.com.
dave3d

Previous

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion