Quantum Delta

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: Quantum Delta

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 am

Well we did not get it completely done. All parts for 2 machines were 100% fabricated. The assembly took a little longer than anticipated even though we were a well oiled machine for most of the build. We had as many as about 8 people working at one time. The spectra cord drive system took a while to figure out. Once we had a plan, they only took about 15 minutes per axis, but the concept is probably going to eventually change.

The build was actually a lot of fun. There were some very talented people who I could just hand of jobs to without worry, like "here solder up the motor drivers and set the current". Jeremy did most of the complicated stuff like the laser cutting and machining.

Here is a cell phone photo of where we left off.

qd_01.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 am

bdring wrote:The spectra cord drive system took a while to figure out. Once we had a plan, they only took about 15 minutes per axis, but the concept is probably going to eventually change.

Is that the setup that Tantillus uses? Some kind of thin line that just wraps around a shaft?

bdring wrote:The build was actually a lot of fun. There were some very talented people who I could just hand of jobs to without worry, like "here solder up the motor drivers and set the current".

Being surrounded by competent people is always awesome.
BenJackson

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:51 pm

BenJackson wrote:Is that the setup that Tantillus uses? Some kind of thin line that just wraps around a shaft?

Yes, it is pretty similar. The spectra line is quite thin and a bit hard to work with. We all kept talking about the best ways to assemble it. Finally we each just took a rail and built one. I think I will change it to conventional belts. That would have saved us at least an hour.

BenJackson wrote:Being surrounded by competent people is always awesome.

The cool part was...I would ask something like "Who knows how to set up these motors drivers". About half the hands would go up. One of them then taught a mini class to some of the others.

Being a hackerspace, you needed to be certified to run anything as simple as a drill press. It only takes a couple minutes, but we had a lot of non-member there. There were a few 5-10 minute delays as that happened.

Here is a picture of about 1/3 of the group.

Jeremy is on the computer setting up a laser run.
Donald is using the arbor to press in some inserts.
Some tapping and wheel assembly is also going on.
Attachments
qd_build_01.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Turn buckle links

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:04 pm

A guy on the Delta Group suggested I use these turn buckles. They are Traxxas #5538 and are about $6 per set on eBay. The out of the bag length is about 95mm. I need about 102mm which is well within the range needed. They should just drop right in. The nice thing is that they are true turn buckles with right and left hand threads.

$(KGrHqVHJ!0E63RuCk3FBO7rW2VqRg~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqVHJ!0E63RuCk3FBO7rW2VqRg~~60_12.JPG (12.66 KiB) Viewed 16828 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby AVRC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Do those links need to be adjustable?
If your setting them to a fixed length, could they not just be laser cut and the ends reamed for a bushing?
I have used the Traxxas links before and the ball ends are sometimes a very tight fit in the plastic end.

Fun build last night. If part 2 is next week, count me in.

-Craig
AVRC

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:48 pm

In theory they do not need to be adjustable. The SeeMeCNC links are one piece and injection molded. You still need to deal with the universal joint issue.

At less than $3 each retail price, I decided to buy some to try.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Family Photo

Postby bdring » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:37 am

I had the end effector off my big delta to try a new extruder. I couldn't help using the opportunity to take a family photo. I hope to finish this guy at the next CNC night on Thursday at PS1.

DSC00449.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Digitalmagic » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 am

Which Bowden extruder did you choose for your delta?
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby bdring » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 pm

The bigger Delta ORD Bot was built under an extreme deadline so I used what I had laying around. It uses a QU-BD hot-end mounted to a GPU heatsink and NEMA17 with MK7 gear on the drive end. It works fine, but can only use ABS. There are pictures on the build log for that. I have other hot ends and a little time now, so I will be trying them soon. The first will be the SeeMeCNC hot end.

The quantum Delta does not use a bowden. It uses a stock MakerGear Stepper Plastruder. It will be PLA only because it has no heated bed.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:12 pm

Family photo? Pah! You should have attached the little guy to the rods of the big guy and driven it around.
BenJackson

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion