Azteeg X3 strange motor problem

General discussion of 3D printers

Azteeg X3 strange motor problem

Postby fma » Tue May 14, 2013 11:26 am

Hi!

I'm using an Azteeg X3 controller (with repetier firmware) for a few months, now, and I always had a strange motor behaviour.

When motors are disbaled, the first move on the Y axis often generated a short noise ("CLAC') when it starts. Before I upgraded the firmware a few weeks ago, this noise didn't have any effect on the print. But now, after the upgrade, the noise occurs more often; in fact, it occurs on the first Y move after each Z move! And it sometime produces a shift in the print, especially if I print faster.

Before I start changing params/current and so, I was wondering if someone had an idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Frédéric
fma

Re: Azteeg X3 strange motor problem

Postby cvoinescu » Tue May 14, 2013 12:35 pm

That noise is the stepper re-engaging after the driver has been off. A more recent firmware probably thinks it's "smarter" to turn it off when not used for a short while. When a stepper re-engages, it can do that at the position it left off, but it can also, occasionally, move to another position (usually four full steps away from where you wanted it to be). Find the feature that allows the firmware to turn off (disable) the drivers, and either increase the timeout, or turn the feature off altogether.
cvoinescu

Postby fma » Tue May 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks for the explanation!

But is it normal that I sometime miss enough steps to shift the print 1-2mm away?
Frédéric
fma

Postby cvoinescu » Tue May 14, 2013 2:01 pm

While the stepper is snapping to the initial position when power is re-applied, it's very likely to miss a number of steps if the controller doesn't wait a while and starts stepping right away. That's especially true at higher speeds. Try telling the firmware to leave your motors on all the time, see what happens.
cvoinescu

Postby fma » Tue May 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Z is the only axis disabled when unused (this way, I can easily adjust the first layer high)...

BTW, could someone using Repetier firmware on Azteeg X3 controller could give me his configuration (min/max speeds, accel/jerk and so...)?

thanks.
Frédéric
fma

Postby cvoinescu » Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 am

fma wrote:Z is the only axis disabled when unused (this way, I can easily adjust the first layer high)...

Then I'm wrong about the reason for the noise, and I don't know what it is. It still sounds like a missed step. Maybe the acceleration or jerk are a bit high? (Note it's not the physicist's jerk, i.e. the derivative of acceleration wrt time, like in TinyG, but a measure of the instantaneous speed change allowed when starting or stopping.)
cvoinescu

Postby fma » Wed May 15, 2013 5:23 am

It is not exactly the same noise when a motor miss steps, because of too high load.

As said, the problem is mor efrequent with the new firmware. I may have changed some params, but I reduced accelleration...

I'm waiting for an answer from Repetier developer.
Frédéric
fma

Postby fma » Fri May 17, 2013 5:03 pm

The author is investigating...

See the thread:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,208635
Frédéric
fma

Postby fma » Sun May 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Bug fixed :)