Repetier Host

General discussion of 3D printers

Repetier Host

Postby blah_59 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 pm

The last couple of days I've had two seperate instances of the printer stopping mid print. It doesn't look to be hardware related, there are no noises, attempted but halted moves, etc. It just stops in the middle of an extrusion at different times in the print (the first time it happened 4 hours in to a 4 1/2 hour print, the second time happened 3 minutes into a 10 minute print). When it happens, the repetier log window is stopped dead, with no commands being sent to the printer. To re-establish comms, I have to disconnect and reconnect to the printer.

So I'm leaning towards two possibilities:

1) There is a hardware comms issue (USB Cable) and Repetier is smart enough to stop sending commands when it detects a disconnect.

2) There was a software update recently to Repetier, was there a bug introduced?

If no one else has seen any issues running the latest Repetier host software than it's more than likely closer to #1.
blah_59

Re: Repetier Host

Postby flickerfly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:33 pm

There was a thread not very long ago that discussed something like this. It was theorized that dirty power may impact the electronics causing the board to reset or something like that. I don't recall the details, but the guys was looking for things like microwaves or air compressors turning on on the same circuit around the time the print dies.
flickerfly

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 pm

There are many threads like that, both here and on the Shapeoko forum. For example, this one.

Having tried lots of things, I found that isolating the USB and the USB-to-serial converter from the rest of the system worked. The schematic is here. A few other people have had success with it too.
cvoinescu

Postby blah_59 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm

I remember the thread about someone having similar issues when a compressor or refrigerator were turned on but I didn't read the the thread you pointed to, cvoinescu, about it happening when the guy moved his USB cable close to the stepper motor driver wiring (which is exactly what I did a few days ago). So thanks for pointing that thread out and hopefully that will clear it up.

As always, the collective genius around here is appreciated.
blah_59

Postby orcinus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:55 pm

AFAIK, Repetier Host *always* sends a reset on connect to a printer.

That means it also sends a reset every time you reconnect.
It also does an auto reconnect whenever USB resets.

And USB resets when it gets hit by EMI that's strong enough.

Consequentially: EMI interference => resets printer (when using Repetier).
orcinus

Postby blah_59 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:52 am

So I've done several prints today ranging in length (afte rmoving the USB cable away from the stepper driver wires) and no issues to report. So it appears that the issue has been identified. I'll let you guys know if it pops back up.

Thanks again.
blah_59

Postby orcinus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:13 pm

I wish my problem was as easy to solve as moving the cable.

Whenever i turn on my desk lamp, USB resets.
Ditto for the compressor under the desk.

RAMPS + USB A to USB B cable was fine and would not pick up the EMI from the lamp and compressor.
Azteeg + USB A to USB mini (i've tried 3 different cables as well as adding ferrite chokes) *always* resets.
orcinus

Postby TLHarrell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Solved: Don't use compressor, and print in the dark. :lol:
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 pm

orcinus wrote:RAMPS + USB A to USB B cable was fine and would not pick up the EMI from the lamp and compressor.
Azteeg + USB A to USB mini (i've tried 3 different cables as well as adding ferrite chokes) *always* resets.

That's a very interesting data point. What else is different? Is the power supply the same?
cvoinescu

Postby orcinus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Yes, the power supply is the same. Everything is the same except the electronics and the cable.
And i doubt it's Azteeg's fault, as switching to a mini USB to USB A adapter and using a "big" USB cable greatly reduces if not eliminates the resets.

I don't want to use that particular setup, though, as i don't like having 2+ meters of cable coiled on my desk (and i don't like piling on adapters).

My best guess is that mini USB cables are just not shielded enough (they're quite obviously thinner too).
orcinus

Next

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion