Y won't home, but otherwise operates as expected

General discussion of 3D printers

Y won't home, but otherwise operates as expected

Postby flickerfly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:29 am

I have a strange problem develop with my Y-axis. It won't home. Otherwise, it operates as I'd expect it to act. The only thing it doesn't do is when I click the home button in Repetier Host. I haven't changed the firmware or the host. I did some work on the wiring, repositioning some things, but I can't see how it could be a loose connection or short since I can move the axis manually and even a job runs fine so long as I manually home the y instead of depending on the software to do it. Even so, I checked continuity on the coils for the Y-axis and didn't find any problems.

I've been spending time learning G-code to try debug this: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code. I have a sneaking suspicion that If I just re-flash the firmware it'll solve the problem, but I'd like to try to find out why before I go to that.

I tried "G28", "G28 Y200" and "G28 Y0" directly to position it, but it effectively does the same thing as the home button, nothing on the Y-axis at all. The motors don't even lock. If I use G0 or G1 instead of G28 it works just fine. I can play with G90 and G91 without problems. I tried these commands in the Arduino serial interface and the Repetier-Host Manual Control tab. Once I figured out to set the output to Newline on the Arduino IDE's serial monitor, it worked the same with both.

Any hints on other things I can look at to figure out what's going on?

FIRMWARE_NAME: Repetier 0.82.2
flickerfly

Re: Y won't home, but otherwise operates as expected

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:57 pm

First thing I'd try is pull the wires for the homing switch off at the board, connect to a multimeter (set on ohms) and check the wire for continuity. Also manually operate the switch and watch the meter. My theory is you've knocked something loose while rewiring.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby flickerfly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:02 pm

No, the bed won't even move at all. Not enough to trigger the switch or anything. When I enter G28 it just sits there (mocking me).
flickerfly

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Is the switch shorted then, like it's maybe seeing that the axis is already at a home position? Always start with the simple stuff and work up. Don't assume a software issue first, and spend hours flogging it.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby flickerfly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 pm

I assumed that G0 and G1 wouldn't work if the switch was shorted. I managed to fry my FTDI last night so can't test ATM.

Edit: I guess I can check the switch without the FTDI :roll: I'll check that.
flickerfly

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion