Help wanted - Spiders web in print!

General discussion of 3D printers

Help wanted - Spiders web in print!

Postby Preso » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:20 am

For all you experts out there. I am having a problem with excessive filament bridging internal spaces on my prints. I am using Repetier Host and Slicr for preparation of my print jobs. So far I have tried altering the extruder temp from 230 degrees to 240 with no change. I have attached a photo of a typical print and the extruder setting I am using.
DSC_9316.jpg
Extruder settings.JPG
Extruder settings in Slicr
Filament is 1.75mm ABS. The finished prints are filed with fine spider web like material. It rubs off fairly easily but surely it should be easy to change the settings to avoid it altogether?
Any wise words would be appreciated.

Regards,
Preso
Preso

Re: Help wanted - Spiders web in print!

Postby asb79 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:53 am

Hi Preso,

I'm no expert by any means, but I'll share my Slicer settings that I'm using on my ordbot. Seems to work well for me.

Retraction = 0.7
Z Lift = 0
Speed = 30mm/s
Extra length on restart = 0
Min travel after retraction = 2mm
I deselected wipe while retracting

I'm using a direct drive extruder with a 0.35 nozzle and usually print at 220-230 degrees C with ABS

Cheers
Anthony
asb79

Postby Preso » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks Anthony,
I'll give those settings a go.

Regards
Preso
Preso

Postby Preso » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:22 am

Hmmm. Tried the settings suggested by asb79 but no change to print quality. I am thinking my extruder steps per minute might be wrong. At present my eeprom settings shows the following configuration.
Eeprom settings.JPG
I noticed when the last print finished that quite a long string of extruded ABS continued to ooze from the nozzle. If the extruder stepper were feeding more filament than the print job needs it would build up pressure inside the nozzle and ooze out when the print head moves from one location to the other. I am going to adjust the extruder steps per minute to see what difference it makes; unless anyone can suggest a better option.

Regards,

Preso
Preso

Postby TLHarrell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:39 am

Add some retract.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby Preso » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks TLHarrell,
I did have the retract set originally but as is always the case with these things there were other settings that were masking the real problem. I did some more test prints with the filament extrusion multiplier set to 0.9 instead of 1. This seems to have improved matters greatly. I also sped up the non print moves and the perimeters so that the print jobs are now much faster. I will turn the retract back on. Hopefully my spiderwebby prints will be a thing of the past.

Regards,
Preso
Preso

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion