2.x Laser Kits (Edit: In Production..again)

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Chips are flying

Postby bdring » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:11 pm

I started cutting parts this week. Things were going great until I lost a phase on the spindle. It turns out it can actually run on two phases plus a flaky third phase. It just has a little trouble starting and is a little rough. The problem is in the connector that mates to the spindle. I think I had a poor crimp or solder joint.

I need to find this connector now. Edit: I think this is it http://www.maplin.co.uk/locking-multi-p ... 2af01a2c85 I need a US source.

It looks like the connector is an XLR 12mm 3 pin connector. Lots of eBay and Ali sources in China :(

din_conn.jpg

Here are the parts so far.

2x_parts.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: 2.x Laser Kits (Edit: In Production..again)

Postby canadianavenger » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:09 am

Digikey is probably your best bet... looks like it should be common connector. [though looks can be deceiving] If you know any other specs [locking thread pitch, pin size, barrel diameter....] I can help you locate a suitable replacement.
canadianavenger

Postby bdring » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:47 pm

I think it might be a threaded version of the XLR audio connector. I might see what Frys and Radio Shack has. All I really need is one of the sockets.

xlr_femal.jpg
xlr_femal.jpg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 52995 times

Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Frys + Hacking

Postby bdring » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 pm

I was able to get a XLR audio connector from Frys for $3.99 and cut away the plastic to pull out a pin. It was the right diameter, but a little long. I had to drill out the existing shell a little to get it to fit, but the spindle is spinning on 3 phases. :D

I will order a real eBay replacement, but the delivery is not an issue now.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Kit Status

Postby bdring » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:40 pm

All of the parts are done except for the rear interface plate. Those are being done by another machinist and should be done by mid next week.

I am now bagging and tagging all the parts to put in the kits.

Watch this forum topic and follow me on twitter to see when they will be stocked in the store. There will only be about 15-20 kits sold this time. There is no waiting list. Only one per kit per customer will be sold.

I know I could sell them on eBay for more money, but I don't want to gouge anyone. Please be cool and don't buy a kit just to sell it on eBay.

I will reluctantly take International orders, but if there is a problem with the kit I will only replace parts for free. You must pay the postage. More details on that later....
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby canadaduane » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for making these--I'll be building my first laser cutter in Salt Lake City and sharing what I have here, which will inevitably be more machines. You're like the Johnny Appleseed of laser cutters :)
canadaduane

Kits in the store!

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 pm

I just released a some kits to the store. I will probably release 2-3 more in about 1 week.

I am thinking about a batch #7 but that will be at least 4-6 weeks to get new sheet metal.

http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?m ... ucts_id=70
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby karmacappa » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:43 pm

I jumped on it and bought one as soon as I could. Thanks for building these Bart, and I hope I'll be able to start my build soon!
karmacappa

In store ...going fast

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes,

The qty is dropping quickly. The lead time you will see is about 2 weeks, but I hope to ship within days.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Colonel Moutarde » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Hello from soon snowy Switzerland.

Is there any 2.x kit production foreseen soon ? I want to start building one cutter. No problem for the laser cut parts as I can access one and cut myself, but bent pieces are more difficult to realize (I am hopeless with bendings).

Thanks,

Marc
Colonel Moutarde

Previous

Return to 2.x Laser Support