DSP Or PC Crossroad

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

DSP Or PC Crossroad

Postby neuman5022 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:33 am

Hello fellow builders,

Building the 2.0 40-50W machine with 2.X laser machine BOM

Now near the crossroad to decide whether to go DSP or just a laser controller + a PC.

I would like to hear your ideas as for which system you recommend - based on your experience.

Best would be posts from guys who used one system and reverted to the other, and the reasons why.

Many thanks in advance.

Isaac
neuman5022

Re: DSP Or PC Crossroad

Postby Techgraphix » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:41 pm

First: what's your idea of a DSP and what is a lasercontroller to you? Let's say you take a AWC708C, do you call that a DSP or a lasercontroller?
Kees
Techgraphix

Postby neuman5022 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:30 am

Hi,

To me it is all about how you use it.

One option (controller) is when you use a PC that is dedicated to run the machine - say like Mach3 - you actually run the machine with it.

The other is the DSP - which you drive the machine via it's DSP system -so you need only a file that it can read to work the machine. The AWC708C by definition is a DSP system part.

I am not good with electronics = but I have found on th net something that may shed more light on this:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/3067/what-is-the-difference-between-a-dsp-and-a-standard-microcontroller

Since to me it is about the operation - this is why I askd for help from memebrs, to see what is thier experience with it.

I have already a CNC machine with a controller - so if I don't get more info I will go for the DSP - at least this way I will be able ti research and learn something new. . . it may be even a new mistake :lol:

Cheers

Isaac
neuman5022

Postby Techgraphix » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:50 pm

I would surely go for a DSP.
Engraving is not the most easiest thing to do with a controller or something else, like Mach3 or any other dedicated CNC controller.
With a DSP like the AWC708C (or LO-X7) etc it is easy, although for real photographic images you need to experiment for the right settings, but that's a matter of getting experienced.

Only when you want to use the laser for strictly cutting you can use things like Mach3 (but i thought there where some people that did engraving with success)
Kees
Techgraphix

Postby neuman5022 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks Kees,

Engraving is part of my intended tasks - so it seems DSP will do the trick.

Cheers

Isaac
neuman5022

Return to 2.x Laser Support