Kit Status

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Kit Status

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:32 am

I hope to have all the parts by early next week for the first group of 4 kits. I am waiting on sheet metal for the next group.

I can send out hardware kits early if people want to get a jump on building frames. Only for people who will have frames please.

FYI: There are a few very minor tweaks I am going to make on the next batch of plastics.

1. The gantry idler bearing hole is a little close to the edge. It works fine, but I am going to move the edge out on the next ones.

2. The X and Y idler pulleys use dual bearings to keep the shaft square. The other bearings use a single bearing. On the Y axis the bearing blocks look virtually identical except for the depth of the bearing pocket. To prevent mix-ups in building (and my kitting), the dual bearing brackets are getting a mitered corner to visible identify them.

This will phase in as parts are used up.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Skins

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 pm

My first set of skins is done. So far I have about 4 full sets and several partial sets. I will probably finish off the raw material I have tomorrow. I bought all the Ultra Marine Blue they had (9 sheets). The price is going to be $130 for the skins plus $25 for the acrylic window. They take about 2 hours per set. Maybe some day I will get a 4' x 8' router with a vacuum hold down and it will be easier. They look great.

The material ships will a protective film and I have left that on. The film makes the edges look rough because it curls up and sticks to the chips, but peel it back and the edge finish is good. There is a gloss side and a matte side. The film is printed with text to identify that, but it is easy to tell when the film is off. Even with the film off, the paint is really tough. All panels should be gloss side out except the bottom, which is gloss side up.

I managed to cut all day without breaking my $35 bit. I made a support arm, to support the material behind the router.

skin_cut.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Current Kit Status

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm

The sheet metal arrived on Friday and the correct belts are supposed to arrive tonight. The only remaining item is the motors. The motors were ordered a long time ago. Originally I wanted to motors to have a 1/4" diameter shaft so all pulleys are 1/4 shaft. About two weeks into the order they told me they could not do the 1/4" shaft. That wasted 2 weeks of the process. They said they would expedite the order and were supposed to ship last week. I have not heard an update on the shipment. The un-expedited lead time is about due so they could arrive soon. I have ordered several times from this Chinese supplier before so I expect to see motors eventually. While I ordered 100 motors, I am still a small fish for them.

If anyone is wants to get a jump on the build and already has extrusions, I can ship out hardware kits early. This will add a little extra shipping cost, but will allow you to start your build.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Kit Status

Postby Chankster » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 pm

Any update? :D
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Re: Kit Status

Postby bdring » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:10 pm

I have most everything, I am working through the waiting list. I can get about 3-4 kits out per week. Are you no the waiting list? I don't always know the email names vs usernames. Send me a private email.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Return to 2.x Laser Support