How does the Z axis work?

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

How does the Z axis work?

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 pm

The 2.x is basically a 2 axis design with a manual Z axis. All of the Z axis belts and pulleys the there, you just turn it by hand rather than do it through a motor. The front right lead screw is a little taller and has a 1/4-20 nut on the end. I use a nut driver on it, but you could use a detachable spinner knob with a little design effort. You rarely move the Z axis very far so it is not a big deal.

I did this to keep the basic cost down of the machine. Everyone complains about the cost, but once they start building they decide to gold plate everything and order every option. With that in mind there was always a plan for a motorized Z option. Here is a rendering of what it looks like. I have all the parts, but have not had the time to install it yet. This would be compatible with a stepper or gear motor. The gear motor should be in the 100-200 rpm range for decent performance. The stepper motor version would be geared down (as shown) for extra torque. This mounts right where the existing left rear lead screw goes.

z_motor_upgrade.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: How does the Z axis work?

Postby cpdude » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 pm

Bart,

You've done it now...so when are you going make this available???

Brian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Postby cpdude » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey Bart,

Are drawings available for the replacement bracket yet?

Brian
2.x laser ( Mach3 | SmoothStepper | FSE RetinaEngrave)| DIY CNC Router (EMC2) | Prusa I3 3d printer | Building a Wolfstock deta printer | Rhino v5
cpdude

Postby bdring » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Yes,

I will post it later tonight. It will be part of the 1/4 plastic parts drawing.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby cpdude » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks Bart! I'll probably just cut this only myself.

Brian
cpdude

Return to 2.x Laser Support