Build instruction bug?

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Build instruction bug?

Postby LeonS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 pm

In the section titled "Install Y rails" Step #3 reads:

"Install the last remaining frame extrusion that goes horizontally just in front of the tube. Be sure to add six t-nuts in for the z lead screw assemblies and the tube brackets."

Shouldn't it read:
"Install the last remaining frame extrusion that goes horizontally just in front of the tube. Be sure to add eight t-nuts in for the z lead screw assemblies, the tube brackets, and the rear mirror bracket." :?:

Thanks,
Leon
LeonS

Re: Build instruction bug?

Postby bdring » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Yes, you are right. I was writing that from memory. Other builders, like twehr, are correcting that as they are building, but it never hurts to have a few post assembly nuts.

Note: The Z axis upgrade uses a longer threaded rod in the rear left position. I decided to start including that rod in the default kit to make the upgrade easier. You will not need to swap that rod out. The last few hardware kits sent out have (2) 8" and 2 (10") rods. The instructions have been updated and the drawing will be updated the next time it is published.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby twehr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:26 am

LeonS wrote:In the section titled "Install Y rails" Step #3 reads:

"Install the last remaining frame extrusion that goes horizontally just in front of the tube. Be sure to add six t-nuts in for the z lead screw assemblies and the tube brackets."

Shouldn't it read:
"Install the last remaining frame extrusion that goes horizontally just in front of the tube. Be sure to add eight t-nuts in for the z lead screw assemblies, the tube brackets, and the rear mirror bracket." :?:

Thanks,
Leon

Fixed.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby StigOE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 pm

I believe I found some errors in the numbers of pre-assembly nuts in the assembly instructions.

Main frame assembly order:
Step 1c, rear, should have 1 left/front, for left side Y-axis
Step 1d, front, should have 1 right/rear, for left side Y-axis
Step 5 should have 7 top, not 4, for Z -axis brackets and Mid vertical
Step 6a, rear, should have 1 left/front, for right side Y-axis
Step 6b, front, should have 1 right/rear, for right side Y-axis

Stig
StigOE

Postby bdring » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:33 pm

I will look at that when I get home.

I am not sure we will ever get that 100% right :). Building the frame with pre-assembly t-nuts is just a right of passage we all need to go through.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby awesomenesser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 pm

I went through and made another chart a few weeks ago. I finished assembling my laser this weekend and the T-nut placements are all correct (I don't have any free nuts anywhere). The chart is a little complicated but the frame is a complicated thing to assemble. Take a look at the chart here.

Also let me know if you find any issues.
awesomenesser

Postby BenJackson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:50 pm

A few of us worked on a whole new chart while I was building. One of the last things I did with the frame was double check that spreadsheet. But I never paid attention to whether it got re-incorporated into the instructions :(
BenJackson

Postby DasGrinch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:27 pm

I just wish the picture were in the same orientation as the chart. I'm using awesomenesser's chart, and so far it goes good with only one nut that was missing, but I guess it's all about how you assemble it. I like the X t-nuts (Y free) part, so I know how many I'm going to end up using.
DasGrinch

Postby awesomenesser » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 pm

DasGrinch, where was the missing T-Nut? I want to check it against my build and then correct the sheet if necessary. I plan on adding the picture to my chart with a key that explains the directions.

Edit - I added a second sheet that contains the frame assembly diagram with direction keys.

Here is a link to the shared document for anyone that doesn't have it.

Yea the directions are a little weird but the key makes it easier.
awesomenesser

Return to 2.x Laser Support