Questions about steppers and drivers

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Pololu Board

Postby bdring » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:04 am

I got the raw PCB in the mail today. I found a couple small errors. I got Vcc and Gnd backwards on my schematic symbol. Fortunately it was pretty easy to fix with a couple cuts and 1 jumper. I slowly assembled it testing as I went along. For the most part everything worked as planned. I did not have the fan installed for most of my testing to allow access and the chips got hot quickly. They never shut down, but I did not run very long. I need to get the right standoffs too.

I rushed through a Mach setup to test it. The microstepping and enable were working, but not as planned..it could be the quick Mach3 setup. I only spent about 20 minutes before getting interrupted. I will test more over the weekend. There are still a few unassembled circuits too as you can see from the picture.

pololu_intfc_1.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Questions about steppers and drivers

Postby Chankster » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but this looks interesting:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10507
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby bdring » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 pm

It is basically the the same as the Pololu. I am using the A4988 version which is a little more robust than the A4983. And the Pololus are a few bucks cheaper per axis. I like the ability to swap out one broken axis with the Pololu. The full integration into a laser interface circuit was the real point here though.

Time will tell if these chips are up to the task. I think 2 amps continuous is unlikely with either even with big heatsinks and a fan.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby edmond22 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi Bart

Would this combined interface and driver board be able to run the first version of the laser if I use the motors you sell, it looks a much neater and cheaper unit than having seperate interface and driver boards.
I will keep my eye out on this thread, can't wait to see the results
edmond22

Postby r691175002 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 pm

The chips are rated to 150c. I run my 1.0 laser at .75A for the x axis and 1.5A for the Y axis without losing steps so current shouldn't be an issue for a 2.0 build.
r691175002

Previous

Return to 2.x Laser Support