Laser connection

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Laser connection

Postby LeonS » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

What is the best practice on hooking up the high tension lead going to the laser as far as length of the lead goes? I left mine long and strung it along the back of the case so it wouldn't be an inductive loop.

Would it be better to cut it shorter? I want to keep options open until all the laser is working to my satisfaction.

Also, I have a 100ma digital ammeter that I want to put in series with the negative lead of the laser circuit. Any experience with doing that? R..2, I seem to recall that you had a similar ammeter hooked up in your test set up.

Thanks in advance,
Leon
LeonS

Re: Laser connection

Postby bdring » Mon May 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Shorter is best. You want to wrap the ground lead around it wherever possible, but stay well clear of the tube connection to reduce noise. I would say an extra 8"-12" is OK, but 2-3 feet is excessive. I prefer an analog or digital bar meter, especially when engraving. I don't typically have it hooked up. I like to keep the circuit as simple as possible. I am not a fan of people messing with the tube power circuit too much.

I had one guy ask if it went on the positive side. If you do not know that answer, you should be messing with a laser or even rewiring a lamp for that matter.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Laser connection

Postby LeonS » Mon May 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks Bart. I'll shorten the positive lead and wrap the ground lead around it starting at a respectful distance from the tube connection.

I agree about not tampering with the power circuit. I know that the ground lead is the place for the meter. I was just soliciting lessons learned before hooking it up.

An analog meter is preferable for this purpose since it is typically pulsing. I want something there so I can do a rough calibration of the pot and limit the high end if needed.

Thanks again,
Leon
LeonS

Return to 2.x Laser Support