20x20mm extrusion & Makerslide...

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

20x20mm extrusion & Makerslide...

Postby DonaldJ » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 am

This is a corner bracket to join 20x20mm extrusion and Makerslide:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:124562

right_bracket.JPG
DonaldJ

Re: 20x20mm extrusion & Makerslide...

Postby TLHarrell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Looks perfectly fine for joining the two pieces together, but I'm concerned about shear support. Doesn't look like it'd stand up to much of a push if you were to tilt the 20x20 to the upper left of your photo, 45 degrees in the direction of the angle on your base plate. The back corner of the 20x20 where it contacts the Makerslide (lower right corner of your photo) would separate rather easily.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Re: 20x20mm extrusion & Makerslide...

Postby DonaldJ » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:05 am

TLHarrell wrote:Looks perfectly fine for joining the two pieces together, but I'm concerned about shear support. Doesn't look like it'd stand up to much of a push if you were to tilt the 20x20 to the upper left of your photo, 45 degrees in the direction of the angle on your base plate. The back corner of the 20x20 where it contacts the Makerslide (lower right corner of your photo) would separate rather easily.

You are absolutely correct regarding the shear forces.

This may not be an issue for its intended application: a modest expansion of the ShapeOko working area. The forces generated are pretty modest, and once the frame is accurately aligned and screwed to the wasteboard it should be fine. If not, I can add some gusset brackets I've made or a modified bracket with more support for the 20x20mm extrusion. Time will tell

What I particularly like about this setup is that the gantry can be removed without dismantling the frame, but now I'll have to install some limit switches.

Thank you, very much, for the feedback.

frame.JPG
DonaldJ

Return to Designs and Design Ideas