The OrdNot?

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

The OrdNot?

Postby DonaldJ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:16 pm

Finally built something with some of the MakerSlide that has been gathering dust for the last few years. It's one of those vanity projects, of the "I wonder if this could work" variety.

How about a CoreXY printer, build volume of 12"x18"x18", made from ABS printed parts, MakerSlide, PVC pipe, and about 500 sheet metal screws?

Here you go:

messy wiring....JPG

Gantry1.JPG

Gantry2.JPG

Z rails.JPG

Z rail bottom.JPG

Bed leveling screws.JPG

XY motor.JPG

top.JPG

bottom_belt.JPG

Still working on the first print; I'll calibrate the machine later. I've learned that it prints a whole lot better if you tighten the grub screws on the XY motors.

You can get the files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1014884
DonaldJ

Re: The OrdNot?

Postby rsm5178 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:29 am

Hey, this looks pretty neat. I'll keep checking back to see how it prints with the PVC frame.

Interesting concept for saving a few dollars.

Looks like you made your own heatbed?

Rich
rsm5178

Re: The OrdNot?

Postby DonaldJ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Yeah, it's pretty neat. It wasn't so much to save a few bucks as to test the viability of using PVC pipe as a frame. It works, but awfully time-consuming.

I didn't make my own heatbed. That's a 300mm silicone heater (RobotDigg) sandwiched between the aluminum tool plate and fiberglass insulation, all of which sits on a nice piece of thin carbon fiber plate (the big black square).

Still some bugs to work out...the attached pic shows a print that decided to fail about 18 hours in. The extruder carriage popped a wheel; don't know why. The belts couldn't have been *that* tight.

dragon2.JPG
DonaldJ

Return to Designs and Design Ideas