BuildLog CNC Router?

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Re: BuildLog CNC Router?

Postby bobt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:20 pm

The I have had no time to build the router, but I am tweaking the design and researching sources.

If you were to post what you have at this time. I would be more than happy to provide some alternative solutions for what needs to be done and document the build process of how to do it. That way we might get many hands working towards the same solution at once.

What were you going to use for the electronics to power the unit?

Bob Teeter
"What Box"
bobt

Postby bdring » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:40 pm

I can send you STEP files of anything you want. I don't like to publicly post untested designs. Send me an email and tell me what you want. bdring (at) buildlog.net

I planned to power it with my 4 axis card (3 axis plus spindle control).

BTW: My quiet brushless DC spindle is being tested in the ShapeOko router. He might even test it using the MakerSlide as radiators for the water cooling. He has several hours of run time on it and using a free iPhone dB meter, found it to be 25-30 dB quieter than his Dremel spindle. (each 3dB is half as loud)
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby lovebugjunkie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Any chance in getting more info on your quiet motor. I have a Romaxx HS1 that is setting doing nothing because I can't decide what spindle to buy. I have been looking at the Chinese ones that use a VFD on ebay and anything else that might work. My last one was a Porter Cable router and not keen on putting another one on due to the noise.
lovebugjunkie

Postby AJ Quick » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:48 pm

lovebugjunkie wrote:Any chance in getting more info on your quiet motor. I have a Romaxx HS1 that is setting doing nothing because I can't decide what spindle to buy. I have been looking at the Chinese ones that use a VFD on ebay and anything else that might work. My last one was a Porter Cable router and not keen on putting another one on due to the noise.

Those chinese water cooled ones are extremely quiet. You might not even realize its running some of the time.
CNC Building Blocks - Now Funding on Kickstarter!
http://www.aquickcnc.com/ - Hobby CNC Machines As Seen on Kickstarter!
AJ Quick

Postby bdring » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:08 pm

I have a 2.2kW water cooled chinese spindle on my big router. It was a Porter Cable. I will never go back to a noisy router.

Depending what you cut, you do not even need ear protection while it is running. The air blast off the Porter Cable used to make materials like MDF (regardless of my dust collection) cloud the air with nasty dust.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby kylelnsn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Please stop teasing me with a Buildlog + Makerslide CNC router.

This would be just AWESOME, and if its as good as the buildlog laser 2.x then we would have the ultimate family of machinery.

Can we start making some progress with this?

If we can get some preliminary plans and BOM started im happy to start building.....
kylelnsn

Postby bdring » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:27 pm

I have had no time to work on this. I spend about 80% of my time getting the makerslide out and the remaining 20% on laser orders.

I do have some parts on order that will allow me to be ready to build it when I get time.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby steppenshoe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:29 pm

This must be little and light to consider using the maker slide with a router. The aluminum V may be nice for laser movement, but for a router?

I will stick with proven steel V rails for a router application. There are many aluminum extrusion products more suitable for a router with the steel V built in.
steppenshoe

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm

It wouldn't be the makerslide itself that concerns me. I had an IGUS vendor visit my business a while back and he pointed out that hard coated aluminum is XXX times stronger than steel when comparing surface strength and wear resistance. Don't remember the X's though. The larger area flexure simply depends on mill size. Polymer wheels might be a cause for concern.
lasersafe1

Postby bdring » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I have a 6 foot section that has been hard coated and have been testing steel wheels on it. So far no visible wear. It has gone to a few maker faire like events and been beaten on.

Hard coat is extremely hard, but it is only 3-6mils thick so it depends on the aluminum to support it. If the aluminum flexes the hard coat may to flake off. I have not seen that yet though.

Hard coat costs more and the tanks have to run really cold. Therefore most tanks are smallish. The local guy can only do up to 6-8 feet.

A Makerslide router should exceed the quality of the MDF, drawer slide and skate bearing routers. I have built and used many of those style routers and they actually work very well. On paper, like the bumblebee, they don't look like they will fly, but they actually work very well.

hardcoat.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Designs and Design Ideas