BuildLog CNC Router?

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Re: BuildLog CNC Router?

Postby gene » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:50 pm

bdring wrote:
Right now I am doing some work on a new spindle design. I want it quiet, but I think the Chinese VFD spindles are too expensive for this project. They realistically cost close to $500 after shipping, etc. at qty 1.

Sweet.. because I was planning on a trial and error rc car motor spindle design after building the 2.x laser. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Water-cooling may still be a good approach as it could improve longevity of the motors. Also you can just get a water jacket for an rc car motor and cool it that way if needed.
gene

Postby bobt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Bart - with all the work that you have to do. Is it possible to start listing the drawings and bom for the sections of the CNC router that are complete from your design. I would hope that the basic frame and such in the design would not change much. What I hope for is that the parts minus the "HEAD" of the unit would be the same on the basic design.
I know that there are more parts in this than the parts that come from the MakerSlide project reward kits and I would like to get started on the frame build and document it as I go.

Bob Teeter
"What Box"
bobt

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:23 pm

I need to work out the lead screw nut. I had a friend of a friend make one for me and it had a lot of backlash. It was not well made, but I need to look at some alternatives.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby r691175002 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 am

If its not cutting any metal belts may be an option.

If you are cutting metal there will be trouble. The axes are probably going to be so light and frictionless that climb milling will easily pull the piece into the cutter. You might be stuck using two nuts preloaded against each other but those wear out fast.

Another solution is a delrin anti-backlash nut: http://www.dumpstercnc.com/
r691175002

Postby kylelnsn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Any news on the Build Log CNC?

This would be cool!

Would you do kits?

Cheers
kylelnsn

Postby steppenshoe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Have you tried the dumpster CNC nuts, he can probably make something custom if you need it. For a lightweight system its fine.

If you tossed this project aside I am willing to take it on. My new shop is almost up a running and the rebuild of my very first CNC machine is almost back together. I have worked on quite a few different X/Z axis with different steppers and spindles.

Are you intending on using that little spindle you developed?
steppenshoe

Postby AJ Quick » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:58 pm

If you need any help, please let me know!

The DumpsterCNC Anti-Backlash nuts are also what I would recommend! They are great.
CNC Building Blocks - Now Funding on Kickstarter!
http://www.aquickcnc.com/ - Hobby CNC Machines As Seen on Kickstarter!
AJ Quick

Postby lasersafe1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:52 pm

I used the Dumpster Anti-Backlash nuts on my mill. I cut aluminum all the time without issue.
Attached is a video. If you fast forward to 5:15, you can see the thing flying at 100 inches per minute.
Skate bearings seem fine for me.
Real Tompson rails. No skimping.
Chinese Spindle and VFD are worth their weight in gold.
SmoothStepper is worth its weight in platinum. I haven't lost a single step since it was installed in July 2010. I can easily run at speeds twice that of standard Mach3 because there are no interrupt timing variations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pvMa5E7U_M&feature=player_embedded
lasersafe1

Postby nickgoodenough » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:50 am

How about the hard coated makerslide--any updates? I've pinching my pennies saving for the day a 4'x8' makerslide router design starts to surface.
nickgoodenough

Postby bdring » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 am

I take the hard coated piece to all the events and hacker/maker spaces I go to and tell everyone to beat on it with the metal wheel carriage I have mounted to it. So far no wear. I'll be bringing it to the ASME event.

The I have had no time to build the router, but I am tweaking the design and researching sources.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Designs and Design Ideas