ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Postby Enraged » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Just be happy that they aren't sent UPS, as UPS charges ridiculous brokerage charges for any cross border shipping. I've paid more than the item value in UPS charges in the past. Canadapost/USPS might take longer, but I've never lost a package and never had to pay more than what I was supposed to (tax/duty).
Enraged

Postby orcinus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:26 pm

FedEx is even worse, at least over here (Croatia).
You can at least reason with UPS to a point. FedEx, on the other hand...
orcinus

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:30 am

I ordered a lot of Hadron related stuff from China. Most of it was sent international first class mail - 1 to 2 weeks. Some of the pricier Chinese stuff arrived DHL or FedEx - 3-4 days.

Apparently, there's a long Chinese holiday once a year when it's difficult to get anything shipped for a week, but otherwise, the parts I've ordered from China have been delivered quickly, and that also includes parts for my CNC lathe retrofit too, and some other stuff I ordered for my business.

Dinner at my PC is over. It's time to get back to the mechanical assembly of my Hadron. Almost finished! I'll post lots of pictures and a little narration on my build log, probably later tonight. I plan on doing the wiring tomorrow, albeit without the LAVA. I have a Mk 1 heated build plate. I guess I'll use that. I doubt I'll want to rewire it after it's built, so I suppose the LAVA will go on the Hadron kit I just ordered from Automation Technologies, tentatively scheduled for delivery in about a month.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:01 am

I was frustrated as well.

Nonetheless, the lava arrived, and I'm a happy camper at this point.

Frob delivered.

It took a while, a little longer than I wanted or anticipated, but he delivered.

Patience is in order, particularly when you're playing with the bleeding edge. Both the ORDbot and the LAVA were initial runs of developmental technology. They both shipped with reasonable delays.

OTOH, I threw money at two kickstarter projects last year. One took a good six months longer than projected to deliver, I'm still waiting on the 2d one, and they raised $1/3 Mil. It's been over a year on that one to deliver, and we're still hearing "real soon now"

Patience......

I have my LAVA, and am sure you will get yours.

Crossing the Canada-US border can be a pain in the ass, even if you're transporting nothing more sophisticated than a paper clip, depending on who pissed on who's shoes last (US or Canada). Shipping across the border, where there is no opportunity to play the "hey, just give me a break" card in person, could easily result in a customs/tarrif issue.

Patience........

It'll probably show up Monday.

WB
WhiteB0rd

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 am

Sorry if I sounded impatient. I prefer the term "enthusiastic". :)

After a nine day delay shipping the LAVA, the actual shipping time was two weeks yesterday. I advise my Canadian customers that shipping is typically one to two weeks, but may be three weeks.

You're right about it probably arriving Monday... a day after I needed it. :)

My MK1 heated build platform doesn't have a 100K thermistor. I may have one in my well stocked junk box. If not... well, I was going to start printing in PLA anyway.

And while I haven't played too much on the bleeding edge lately, I've spent my share of time there as a younger engineer, and I was back there a bit today with the mechanical assembly. Bart did a great job on the design IMO, and a good job with the build instructions, but these are definitely first generation instructions. I had several minor issues to correct where I made a bad assumption, as well as a couple of places where I just missed something despite taking my time. Overall, I'd guess that the Hadron goes together a lot easier than any version of RepRap with perfect instructions.
Liberty4Ever

Postby Liberty4Ever » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:10 pm

My LAVA heated build platform arrived today, about four weeks after it was ordered, while I was half way through installing the MK 1 heated build plate. I think I'll reboot and install the LAVA.

Observations:

1) The pizza box took a beating but the LAVA was well packaged and survived the perilous journey.

2) It's very pretty!

3)The threaded mounting bosses that leave a flat top surface are very nice, and the inclusion of mounting springs was a very nice touch as well.

4) It's not very flat, even by printed circuit board standards. I haven't put it on a surface plate or mounted it and run a dial indicator over it, but one corner is obviously warped in a downward direction, from a cursory visual inspection. I suppose I can straighten that out when I start torquing the mounting screws.

5) I know it was a prototype, but I wish it didn't have a Quantum heated build platform on the flip side. The mounting holes for the smaller build platform are in the middle of the Hadron build platform. I was planning on covering it with thin adhesive backed Kapton film, but the holes and the warped board have discouraged that idea. Instead, I think I'll spooge red high temperature RTV silicone adhesive up the inner four Quantum holes to make adhesive dots to mount a thin glass plate.

6) I like the Faston quick connect lugs. I'll be able to crimp some connectors and go.

Now to get some glass of the correct dimensions for the top plate, cut some of the finely woven fiberglass paper I bought as an insulator to place between the LAVA and the Y axis carriage plate, and figure out the wiring path to the LAVA. I have Igus cable track that I plan to use to make it pretty and keep the wires from snagging on stuff.
Liberty4Ever

Postby Enraged » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:43 pm

If you use binder clips, you can take the glass off, which makes it easier to print many parts in a row (just swap to a blank sheet).

Also, I got 4 sheets of 8.5" x 8.5" glass from a local glass shop for $10.
Enraged

Postby Liberty4Ever » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:21 am

Enraged wrote:If you use binder clips, you can take the glass off, which makes it easier to print many parts in a row (just swap to a blank sheet).

I bought a dozen binder clips yesterday... in ORD Bot blue, of course. :D

I'll try it with the binder clips first to see how difficult it is to remove the parts from the glass, how long it takes for the glass to cool, etc. This is all a big learning experience. Even with a lot of online reading and research, there is much that is only learned by doing. I'll soon make the progression from theoretical learning to practical learning.

I might devise some clever method of attaching a glass plate to the heated build platform using the otherwise inconvenient Quantum HBP holes in the middle of the Hadron LAVA HBP, and not have anything overhanging the edge of the HBP, and not have anything protruding above the top surface of the glass.

Enraged wrote:Also, I got 4 sheets of 8.5" x 8.5" glass from a local glass shop for $10.

Why would you do that when one 8" X 8" sheet of Pyrex is $24,62 at McMaster-Carr. :shock:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=8476K181
Last edited by Liberty4Ever on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty4Ever

Postby RSWeaverAz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

@Frob
Hadron sized Lava arrived Monday 6/25.
A small gouge in the box, but packed well so all is ok.

On the Hadron itself, so far I've only built the Gantry,
getting ready to drill the holes in extrusion's for the wiring.
Things should go quickly then ...

BTW, did you get a message from me at your http://www.sotadesign.ca/
about the Sota-Spindle, it will be some time before I need one, possibly for the ShapeOko.
But was looking for some info ...

Rich
I Launch Rockets, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
RSWeaverAz

Spindle question

Postby frob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi Rich,
Glad it got there in good shape !
I got your message, though i replied but i'll resend -
in a nutshell, no hard delivery date yet on the spindle, estimate is September-October timeframe,
with a possibility of a beta prototype for early adopters sooner, like August.
Not decided yet if a pre-order or kickstarter will be offered, tbd in a month or so.

Cheers
Frantz

RSWeaverAz wrote:@Frob
Hadron sized Lava arrived Monday 6/25.
A small gouge in the box, but packed well so all is ok.

On the Hadron itself, so far I've only built the Gantry,
getting ready to drill the holes in extrusion's for the wiring.
Things should go quickly then ...

BTW, did you get a message from me at your http://www.sotadesign.ca/
about the Sota-Spindle, it will be some time before I need one, possibly for the ShapeOko.
But was looking for some info ...

Rich
frob

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot