ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Postby flickerfly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:01 pm

PLA? I've only done ABS so far so can't speak much to temp if that is the case. I've found a lot of the settings that I'd guess you need to adjust are is slic3r. I expect you'll need to play with the temperature for sticking to the bed and layer, but that could simply be the filament size. Make sure your slic3r filament size is correct as that will cause the somewhat feathery look I think I see. The default is 3mm and I've seen that get a few folks including myself until they get familiar with Slic3r's "Configure" button and the wonder therein.

Infill can actually not stick well because of too much heat. I've found a fan works well for me in those situations.
flickerfly

Postby JLG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:22 am

flickerfly wrote:PLA? I've only done ABS so far so can't speak much to temp if that is the case. I've found a lot of the settings that I'd guess you need to adjust are is slic3r. I expect you'll need to play with the temperature for sticking to the bed and layer, but that could simply be the filament size. Make sure your slic3r filament size is correct as that will cause the somewhat feathery look I think I see. The default is 3mm and I've seen that get a few folks including myself until they get familiar with Slic3r's "Configure" button and the wonder therein.

Infill can actually not stick well because of too much heat. I've found a fan works well for me in those situations.

I checked and I'm running it a 1.75 mm filament. I don't think that's be the problem though, it's almost as if the path being generated by slic3r is being generated for a thicker extruded path because there are gaps between the perimeters and infill even when the infill is set to 100%. And those gaps compound over multiple layers, that's what the blotchy texture is.
JLG

Postby JLG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Okay, got it working nicely. Seems like a mix of extruder steps, higher heat, and extrusion width set to 135% worked perfectly. Here's the result
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
JLG

Postby JLG » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 am

I'm having some pretty bad warping issues with printing my PLA, so I'm curious on what causes these issues. Is it rapid cooling? If so, should I design some gcode to slowly cool the bed after the print is finished? My extruder is printing at 235°C first layer, 228°C for the rest, and my bed is 75°C first layer, 55°C for the rest. Seems to work quite well.

Also I'd like to not that the best extrusion result I've ever had (final look and strength) is when my extruder's thermistor accidentally fell out. I have no idea how hot my jhead got, but the black plastic liner start smoking and the bottom of it melted a bit. The result was a very well fused part that was difficult to break compared to some other parts I printed. Obviously I can't print like that all the time, but it's interesting to note that. My Extruder is fine, btw, those pics happens afterwards
JLG

Postby flickerfly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Sounds like printing with a hotter hotend got you better results. That would have been what happened when your thermistor fell out of the block. I secured mine using a bit of thin solid wire from within a twisty-tie. It was a short-term hack, but I haven't had any problems with it since.
flickerfly

Postby Merfman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi all, another Hadron noob here! I just want to say thanks to all of you who added your thoughts
and comments to this thread. It's been a tremendous help to me! I'm still assembling parts but have
my mechanics together but needing squaring... hope to put some of this knowledge to further use
in the coming days!

Thanks again,
Merf
Merfman

Postby flickerfly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Congratulation Merfman, and welcome.
flickerfly

Postby JLG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Hey, glad this helped you as much as it helped me. Feel free to ask anything and if I can give my experience I will, everything on this thread + tireless googling got me from noob to a completed project. Great community here with knowledgable, friendly people.

I'm personally not printing and loafing on building an enclosure, PLA might not produce mildly toxic fumes like ABS, but it does produce UFP (ultra fine particles), and I read somewhere that research says they can actually travel through your system and get lodged in your brain, muscles, lungs, and heart. I should mention that there is absolutely no proof that these particles are harmful, but there is absolutely no knowledge on the long term effects of it either.

Seems like a waste to me to quit smoking and start inhaling 3D printer UFP, lol
JLG

Postby JLG » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm now getting some very weird prints, anyone have any suggestions on what could cause this result and what could fix it?
Attachments
image.jpg
JLG

Previous

Return to ORD Bot