Ordbot Stopping Mid-Print. Help Please?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Ordbot Stopping Mid-Print. Help Please?

Postby evil2002usna » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:14 am

I am having a problem that has been driving me crazy for months now that I just haven't been able to resolve. Whenever I am printing, I have issues with my printer stopping randomly mid-print and just sitting there with power to the hot end maintaining temp, but no ability to move any of the motors once I pause the machine. Additionally, before I am able to reset the printer, I have to unplug the AC power cord and disconnect the USB cable from my Azteeg X3. I feel like I have tried everything in order to resolve this issue without any indication that I am making headway. My machine specs are as follows:

24VDC 10A Allen Bradley Power Supply
Azteeg X3 Controller w/SureStepr SD8825 Drivers
Automation Technologies Hardware
QUBD extruder stepper w/modifed BDRING's Extruder Mod and J-Head Mount 24V Heater Core
Helios Heated Bed wired for 24V
2x12V 40mm fans cooling the J-Head and Motor respectively.

I have read through several posts online that list several suggestions. The overall consensus is that signal interference is the primary issue. Most people recommend using a high end power supply with a shielded 3ft USB cable w/ferrite core. I have also read theories that it could be the result of stepper drivers getting too hot as well as hot end connections becoming loose during the print. So far I have attempted the following:

(1) Placed a small fan close to my Azteeg to cool the stepper drivers during the print to prevent overheating. The print has stopped regardless of whether the fan is on or not so I do not believe this is the problem.
(2) Hardwired all my hot end connections so that there is no possibility of intermittent loss of signal. No effect.
(3) Currently using a 3ft USB cable w/ferrite core. I am not sure if it is shielded. I am currently waiting on one to be delivered from Monoprice.
(4) Turned off my heated bed during prints to ensure I am not drawing too much current. It is my belief that this could be one of the primary causes of my issue. I know that my power supply is good quality but undersized. I have ordered a 450W 19A 24VDC Meanwell power supply that should have enough juice to power my board.
(5) Tried printing at a different power outlet and connected to a different computer running MacOSx and Repetier. It made it through two out of three prints.
(6) I have made sure that I am not starting other appliances on the same circuit during printing to reduce the likelihood of electrical noise in the circuit. This has not had any effect.
(7) Attempted to print using SDCard only. Had issues with stopping as well.

If anyone has had this issue and corrected it or has any further recommendations, I would really appreciate some help. It kinda takes the fun out of 3D printing when you can't make it through a whole print.

Thanks!
evil2002usna

Re: Ordbot Stopping Mid-Print. Help Please?

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 am

Would you elaborate on item 7, please? If it stops the same way with an SD card print, a new USB cable is unlikely to help. But if it behaves differently, that may shed light on which part you can blame on USB and which on something else.
cvoinescu

Postby royco » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Do you have one Helios Heated bed connected directly to 24V? If so that would draw a whole lot of current even with altering the PWM duty cycle. Do you have a 12v supply you can try? An under powered power supply will dump a lot of nasties on your DC line.

Its possible too that the X3 has an issue that only shows up after a while. Printing with SD usually solves noise and USB interference issues. I can send you a test unit to try if you want to go that route.

Roy
royco

Postby evil2002usna » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:39 pm

The SDCard stops mirror the other stops. The machine just stops printing, all motors quit moving, and the heaters stay on. In response to the question about my power supply. I have the heated bed wired into the Azteeg, and it draws its power directly from the board. I do not have a 12V power supply. I have ordered another 24V which I should receive either today or tomorrow along with the new USB cable. Once I test both of those out I don't know if there will be any other possible causes other than the board.
evil2002usna

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm

In the interests of eliminating potential problems and doing some diagnostics, I'd recommend turning off the heated bed and nozzle (if possible), no filament, and doing a full dry run (motors only) of your part program with as little turned on as possible. This way you're eliminating as many variables as possible.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby evil2002usna » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:26 am

I tried SD Card again. Same thing happened. Machine stopped halfway into a 3.5 hour print. When I exited Repetier Host and tried to reconnect a connection error pops up saying "The connection failed with the following error: Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.. Make sure your printer is connected, enabled, and connection data is set correct. Open printer settings." This fault will not go away until I both unplug the DC Power supply and the usb cable from the Azteeg. I will try a print tonight with no heaters.
evil2002usna

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:35 am

Wait, do you have the USB connected while printing from the SD card?
cvoinescu

Postby evil2002usna » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm

I do have the usb cable connected even while using the SD Card. I do not have an LCD controller so I have to initiate the print from my computer. I have tried unplugging it mid-print after starting with the SD Card but the printer stops as soon as I disconnect the SD Card. I did as recommended last night and ran the printer without turning on the heated bed or the hot end. The print appears to have finished without any issues. I am attempting a second test while I am at work today to confirm.
evil2002usna

Postby fma » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:12 pm

evil2002usna wrote:I do have the usb cable connected even while using the SD Card. I do not have an LCD controller so I have to initiate the print from my computer. I have tried unplugging it mid-print after starting with the SD Card but the printer stops as soon as I disconnect the SD Card.

I think you mean: "as soon as I disconnect the *USB cable*"?
Frédéric
fma

Postby evil2002usna » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

yeah, sorry I did mean when I disconnect the USB cable :) It appears that my 2nd print without the heaters on was successful as well. It seems to me that this would be pointing back to the power supply again. Trying it without heaters a 3rd time.
evil2002usna

Next

Return to ORD Bot