New ORD Bot Hadron build (ATI kit)

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

New ORD Bot Hadron build (ATI kit)

Postby fulg » Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Hello,

I have recently ordered a new ORD Bot Hadron kit from Automation Tech, I have yet to receive it. I am not sure if there are still many active users on the forum (I am quite late to the ball game!), but this seemed like the best place to document my build once I get all the parts. This is my first 3D printer so I expect lots of new, possibly frustrating experiences... I build and fly RC helicopters all the time, so I am used to cryptic instructions and weird hardware problems. I work as a software engineer (for close to 20 years) so debugging software problems should not be an issue.

Here is what I have on order:
- ORD Bot Hadron mechanical kit from ATI (with the extra anti-wobble Z brackets)
- Azteeg X5 Mini from Panucatt Devices
- SeeMeCNC EZStruder with NEMA17 stepper
- E3D V6 Lite hotend (from Filastruder)
- MK2b heatbed with a machined Aluminium build surface (ebay)
- Cork isolation plate for the heatbed (RepRap.me)
- Mechanical endstops (RepRap.me)
- Hall effect endstops (Ooznest)
- 12V 29A MeanWell power supply (ebay)

I chose the Azteeg X5 over the usual Arduino-based platforms because it is clear that the Arduino is right at the limit, there is no more room for expansion or new features. I also really wanted the quiet operation of 1/32 microstepping. That RUMBA board with those new TMC2100 stepper drivers looked quite tempting, but I'm pretty sure I made the right call going with a Smoothieware-based solution. I feared the full-size Smoothieboard wouldn't fit on the top panel of the ORD Bot so I settled for the X5 mini instead. My only regret is that this made me give up the Ethernet port, but maybe I can hook up some kind of WiFi support (with additional hardware) later.

I know I have an extra set of endstops in my list above, I only found the mechanical ones first but then splurged for the hall-effect ones. I guess we'll see which ones I end up using. I don't think I'm missing anything except wires and connectors, and I have plenty of those on hand already.

So far I've only received the EZStruder, so it's not much of a build log. I'll update as I go along, there is a lot to read up in these forums, I'm sure it will be helpful. I guess the good thing of being so late is that all the hard problems have been solved and the kit is already improved (stiffer motor mounts, etc). There are also a lot of available upgrades that can be printed (thanks madmike8 for posting yours!), but I need to get this printer working first before thinking about upgrades...

This should be fun, wish me luck!

Cheers,
Ben.
fulg

Re: New ORD Bot Hadron build (ATI kit)

Postby madmike8 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Congrats on your Purchase.

The good thing about Ordbots is there isn't a lot of spare parts to print after you get it running. With all my other printers, I print spares. Looks like all your choices are good to me. I don't have any experience with the Azteeg stuff, but I'll help you where I can.

As for me... I'm waiting on a new soldering iron to complete my wiring. Mine bit the dust. I'm also changing out the MOSFET for the heatbed on the RAMPS board I'm using to something a bit better.

Keep posting updates, I'll be following along.
madmike8

Postby fulg » Mon May 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Well that was fast... Today the ATI kit made it safely across the Canadian border. I've only had a cursory glance at the box contents but despite some minor shipping damage to the outside of the box (they should really tape along the edges of the top and bottom box flaps!), the contents was well packaged and no parts were lost in transit.

I looked more carefully at the MakerSlide & Misumi extrusions and found them all to be the correct length and undamaged. I had read some reports of people getting a shorter rail (310mm) but this didn't happen to me, all three rails are identical and at 330mm.

I had ordered the separate anti-wobble Z kit, but it was already included in the base kit, so I guess I have a spare set.

The aluminium parts are beautifully anodized and all match in finish, unlike K4MG's build log.

No documentation at all was present in the kit (no BOM, no invoice), and no shipping confirmation was sent, so the kit arrived as a surprise.

The Mean Well PSU also showed up, but I've got some building to do before I get to it...

Cheers,
Ben.

PS: I don't understand why the thumbnails are reversed, when you click on the images they are oriented correctly. I'll try and fix this for next time, for now I have to go fix supper! :)

IMG_0294.JPG
Shipping damage.

IMG_0295[1].JPG
Well packaged.

IMG_0296[1].JPG
Unboxed!

IMG_0297[1].JPG
Matching anodized parts.
fulg

Postby madmike8 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Now the fun begins!
madmike8

Postby fulg » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 am

I have finally finished building the mechanical platform. I was missing 9 T-slot nuts from my kit, and ATI sent the missing parts right away. In the mean time the rest of the electronics came in, one package at a time, it was like christmas every day! Tomorrow I should get the filament, but I'm a few days away from needing it.

Having the .stp file opened in a viewer while building was IMMENSELY helpful, even better than the best helicopter kit manual. I used the online viewer at MyCadBox to check my progress. The drawing doesn't exactly match the ATI kit however, but it's fairly straightforward. I do have two spare M5x6 bolts in the end, not sure what I forgot, as all T-slot nuts are installed. We'll find out soon enough... ;)

There is some backlash in the current delrin belt clamps, I had to insert some cardboard in the flat side of the clamp to squeeze the belt more tightly and eliminate any backlash. The latest kits have GT2 belts and pulleys, and they are already the correct length (closed belt loops). There is some slight rubbing of the belts on the carriage and build platform, but I don't think it will be a problem. According to the cad drawing the belt is supposed to be right up against the moving platform/carriage.

I am having a hard time making sure everything is squared, especially the Y axis, because it is loosely mounted on the extrusion, and the OrdBOT cannot easily be flipped over to help squaring. I guess I'll just do my best and adjust from there if necessary. Also, setting the Y axis at 90mm (as per the drawing) means I don't quite cover all of the build platform; I'll probably have to put the Y axis at 100mm or 110mm to get the full build extents.

I have no way to mount my EZStruder to the carriage, hopefully I can cobble something together with zipties and wood blocks long enough to print a proper support for it.

I have programmed my Azteeg X5 (so much easier than Arduino-based platforms!), now it is time to wire everything. I don't plan on hiding the wires, as this will make modifications too hard in the future. To be continued...

IMG_0961.JPG
Belt rubs
fulg

Postby madmike8 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:06 am

Are you in the U.S.? Got a design in mind? I can print it and mail it to you.
madmike8

Postby fulg » Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 am

I thought I had set my location in my profile, but I didn't. Fixed, thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately I'm in Canada so mailing things from the US is annoying; thanks for the offer though. I'm sure I can figure something out that will allow me to start printing. It only has to last long enough to successfully print a better mount...

I will probably end up using something like http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:138425 or the one Bart designed: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2050&start=20.

Cheers,
Ben.
fulg

Postby evil2002usna » Sat May 30, 2015 12:34 am

Just an fyi. I did have problems with the belts rubbing. It started to wear down the belt and broke it multiple times. I I would recommend using some washers to space out the clamps out farther from the y-axis plate. I too had to use cardboard for the clamps. Once you get to printing, you can print tighter clamps from thing I verse.
evil2002usna

Postby madmike8 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:01 am

madmike8

Postby fulg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:34 pm

It prints!! I'm stoked.

It was remarkably easy to get going. I guess after reading all the horror stories with RepRaps, you start knowing what mistakes to avoid. I took my time researching the hardware and building the mechanical platform, and now this patience is paying off in droves.

There are a couple of issues I'll have to deal with, but nothing major. First off is the extruder mount. Right now I have a hodge-podge of zip ties and it "works", but I'll have to design a proper mount first. The EZStruder + E3DV6 combo is quite long and needs to be raised about 10cm (4 inches?) off the carriage for the heater block to be nearing the groove for it in the carriage.

Very happy with the Azteeg X5 so far, although the screwed terminal blocks are a bit of a pain to deal with (I prefer vertical pins, I may replace them out eventually if I get too annoyed). I am used to Arduino firmware updates but not having to do it sure is nice. Everything is in a text file available via an USB mass-storage device: just edit, save, reset the printer and you're good to go.

I ended up a bit disappointed with my aluminium printing surface (ordered separately on ebay) because it doesn't allow a three-point mount, so leveling is a bit of a pain. I was happy to notice the Y carriage had holes for a three-point mount but I won't get to use it just yet. No matter, I have an induction sensor that I plan on using very soon, leveling won't be a problem then.

So far I've printed some odds and ends but naturally, printer upgrades will be due soon... Thanks to everyone here, all of your posts were very helpful in what essentially became a fairly non-eventful build.

The hardest thing so far: I need to stop printing stuff and start cleaning up that wiring! :)

Cheers,
Ben.

IMG_0966.JPG
First print, the leaning cube (the hot end moved during printing as it wasn't properly secured, and the Z was too high!).

IMG_0001.JPG
Thumbscrews to help the leveling, no need to use pliers anymore...

IMG_0004.JPG
It begins... Still using the default Slic3r settings, but I'm already happy with the results!
fulg

Next

Return to ORD Bot