ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Postby IPvFletch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:48 pm

OK, I understand. I was referring to my setup, which is NOT utilizing the heater bed. I wish I would have waited, as I didn't realize it would be so soon, but I already ordered the MK2 heater bed for $15 which was a sweet deal.. :)
IPvFletch

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Gotcha. I already have an MK2 HBP too, which i'll probably mount/use in the similar way you're doing it until Frantz' bed arrives.
orcinus

working hardly... or hardly working?

Postby frob » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Lights ON (1280x957).jpg
With LED's on
My little 3-transistor controlled current regulator doing its job on the amber-orange LED's: 20mA at any voltage above 10V (the 4x diodes in series drop about 9V).
Unfortunately, there is zero reflection off the carriage plate - mounted this way, they don't seem that bright- though the LED's are super bright when seen from straight above them.
I'm looking at different ways to improve that. I might change that to reverse mount them, pointing through a hole in the board so the light shines up out of the hotbed.
SMT standoff+spring.jpg
Closeup of SMT threaded standoff+ spring installed
I went over to the last real hardware store in town earlier today - they have a huge section of fasteners and rarely seen hardware & nifty bits & pieces from ages past... and picked up some 16mm M3 button head screws and 1/4" x1" light compression springs. perfect fit! Note: these are the 6mm long standoffs, which i used because it allows a lot of thread to accommodate various screw lengths in case i couldn't get the ideal length. they also come in 3 or 4mm, which i would favor for the production run. with a shorter spring (or springless), one could use a 10mm screw instead, leaving about a 6mm gap between the carriage plate and PCB.
frob

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Looking neat.
Have you considered switching to right-angle SMD LEDs?

Something like http://www.kingbright.com/manager/upload/pdf/KPA-3210SURCK(Ver1289175642.13) perhaps.
orcinus

Postby frob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:36 am

orcinus wrote:Looking neat.
Have you considered switching to right-angle SMD LEDs?
Something like http://www.kingbright.com/manager/upload/pdf/KPA-3210SURCK(Ver1289175642.13) perhaps.

Actually i did - kinda-
i'm using a super-bright right-angle RGB led in a commercial product that is going into production soon, so i was tempted to reuse those, but they're terribly expensive, and it woulda added $10 to the price. but i can drive 4 of those with a tiny high-current LED controller/blinker chip using a 1-wire interface, and the possible color-changing - fading lighting effects woulda been awfully cool to see... maybe on a high-end alum core or kapton core hotbed it would be justifiable.... 8-) :mrgreen:

Still, plain orange R/A LED's might be a good option - though since i plan to mainly use a frosted glass plate on top, the inner glow effect through that might be pretty interesting too.
frob

Postby Improbable Construct » Sun May 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Hey Frob,
Any word on ship dates for the Hadron build plates?
It's the last piece I need to get printing!
I am chomping at the bit to get up and running.
Thanks
Brandon
Improbable Construct

Postby frob » Mon May 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey Brandon,
Sorry I got a little behind due the ORDuino testing and getting my hadron put together and working, (not to mention my "day" job ;)) in order to properly test both ORDuino and Hotbeds together. Good thing i did too, i discovered some minor functional impairments i am fixing for the production lot - so give me another week or so...
In the mean time, you should know you can (and are much better off imho) getting started printing in PLA without a hotbed; There's a LOT of work and tweaking involved in getting the printer / extruder working well together and i found PLA is much easier to work with for that. It works best with no heat and just some Kapton tape on the build platform.
Also, i *really* highly recommend using a hard surface plate on top of the hotbed- as i discovered, getting the printer up and running and especially getting the end-stops set up right is very error prone and the firmware is rather buggy in that regard too, so head crashes are almost guaranteed.
I'm using an 8" square of 1/4" thick frosted plate glass with the edges ground smooth that a local glasscutter made for me for ~ $25. PLA doesn't stick to it, but it works perfectly with a layer of kapton tape. So far it's saved my hotbed at least a dozen times.

Cheers
Frantz

Improbable Construct wrote:Hey Frob,
It's the last piece I need to get printing!
I am chomping at the bit to get up and running.
Thanks
Brandon
frob

Postby WhiteB0rd » Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 am

Improbable Construct wrote:Hey Frob,
Brandon

frob wrote:...Sorry I got a little behind..... i discovered some minor functional impairments i am fixing for the production lot - so give me another week or so...

frob, can you clarify? Problems with the heated bed, or your controller board?

Does this mean you will be ordering the beds in a week, or shipping the beds in a week, or is the problem and delay with the controller?

Just trying to plan ahead, and wanting to get printing.....

When should I plan on the heated bed arriving at my door?

WB
WhiteB0rd

Production Rev

Postby frob » Fri May 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Hadron HBP Top final.png
Quantum HBP Bot final.png

NOTES:
- Still a "Siamese twin" design (for now), with the Hadron pattern on one side and Quantum on the reverse.
- The center standoff can be mounted top or bottom so useful for both models.
- Plated though holes removed so it can be manufactured in a non-plating process for best uniformity.
- On Quantum pattern, 4 middle-side mounting holes removes; these were superfluous and only added unnecessary perforations to the Hadron pattern.
- Hadron resistor track pattern reworked to permit a wider range of useful power/voltage combinations,
and specifically allow a lower power setting for folks using controllers (like RAMPS & derivatives) that could overheat above 10A.
- Notes added for configuring various power / voltage options.
- Open Source Hardware notice+ logo and license statement , attribution etc. added to silk.
- Added 2nd footprint for right-angle LED's on the front.
- Officially named the LAVA hotbed :-)
Last edited by frob on Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
frob

update

Postby frob » Fri May 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Sorry i wish i had more time to check in here more regularly, its still like drinking from a firehose over here, so that's made it difficult to work on this and provide regular updates.
Everything is going well, minor issues resolved, these are being produced as you read this.
Weekend is almost here... i'll try to come back and give a full update tonight or tomorrow with ETA's etc... :-)
I owe, i owe, its back to work i go.....

WhiteB0rd wrote:frob, can you clarify? Problems with the heated bed, or your controller board?
Does this mean you will be ordering the beds in a week, or shipping the beds in a week, or is the problem and delay with the controller?
Just trying to plan ahead, and wanting to get printing.....
When should I plan on the heated bed arriving at my door? WB
frob

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot