ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

More details...

Postby frob » Fri May 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Hadron HBP-UR-detail.png
So in order to avoid plated-trough holes, i had to come up with another way to interconnect the resistor traces on top with the circuitry and connectors on the bottom. The best compromise i found was to hang a small "ledge" of PCB off to the side at the rear near the connectors through which an 8-pin 0.1" header strip can be inserted and soldered on both sides (and then trimmed) thus avoiding having any parts encroach on the "active" build area.
Hadron HBP-back-config.png
Many Power / voltage options now supported. By default, the board will come set up for 12V @ 130W unless you specifically ask for a different option, or prefer to configure a "virgin" board yourself. Its admittedly a little confusing so i printed a table to help make sense of off the options on the back of the board. The * settings are not available/recommended on the Quantum version.
Also as this is my first "official" foray into doing open-source hardware, i looked at the licensing options and issues very quickly and realized i would have to spend a lot more time on that to fully understand all the options and ramifications. Since i had to pick something for this design now, i went with a non-commercial open-hardware license i found; until i have more time to investigate that further, this will do. Once i a more fluent in this area, i plan to transition into a more "permissive" version.
Hadron HBP-back-config-detail.png
The 5V option is not meant to be "mainstream" but rather its an easily "hackable" mod for the more adventurous. there is a separate 1/4" faston tab (not populated normally) for 5V power. Notice the 2x4 header location on the back near the lower corner; a connection has to be made (from back to front) at this location. If anyone is interested in trying this i'll add detailed instructions and pictures of how this is best accomplished.
Hadron HBP bot-5V-option.png

Hadron HBP-LL-detail.png
Last edited by frob on Fri May 11, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frob

Re: ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Postby Enraged » Fri May 11, 2012 10:21 pm

This looks fantastic. The table is great, I hate having to refer to schematics and manuals when a simple silk screen can explain what to do.
Enraged

Postby dzach » Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 pm

QRZ?
de SV0FP ex NJ0W (expired since long ago)
dzach

Postby frob » Fri May 11, 2012 10:36 pm

dzach wrote:QRZ?
Sorry i have no idea what you're trying to say. Please try again ?
frob

Postby dzach » Fri May 11, 2012 10:49 pm

:D I saw the TAPR license and thought you were a ham, a radio amateur. False alarm I guess.
dzach

Postby orcinus » Fri May 11, 2012 10:54 pm

He's asking for your HAM callsign.
Probably because you're using the TAPR Open Hardware licence.

Coincidentally, there's quite a bit of furor surrounding it, due to a row one of the ex members of TAPR HPSDR team (Phil Covington, N8VB) had with the rest of the organization. He's been a very vocal critic of it. Not siding with him nor TAPR, but it's worth reading up and researching when you catch some free time and don't have anything better to do.

Edit: too slow :)
Last edited by orcinus on Mon May 14, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
orcinus

Postby dzach » Fri May 11, 2012 11:38 pm

I was a member of TAPR back in the '80s, when studying EE in the UMR, Rolla, MO. Still have an YAESU FT-757GX transceiver but is sitting silent for years. It has a very nice and slim 12V, 25A switching power supply that I thought using for Hadron, but then I kind of respected its age and bought a new one.
dzach

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat May 12, 2012 1:04 am

frob wrote:
dzach wrote:QRZ?
Sorry i have no idea what you're trying to say. Please try again ?

Well, just to chime in, de K5FQ. Sorry, no speekee CW.

And I will be using a 12v HAM PS to get up and running, cause it's here, and I can.

WB
WhiteB0rd

Postby dzach » Sat May 12, 2012 3:58 pm

WhiteB0rd wrote:Well, just to chime in, de K5FQ. Sorry, no speekee CW.

How come? I thought Extras were supposed to speak CW, at a high WPM too. But I guess that was true some decades ago. Times have changed. We now speak Marlin #defines and Polulu drivers :mrgreen: .

Appologies for having turned frob's thread to a HAM chat room, my bad. Nice to know though there are still a few of us around. SK.
dzach

Postby Racer » Sat May 12, 2012 6:10 pm

K8TDM ;) 73's
Racer

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot